Problems uploading SMC contour maps to Garmin 60CS
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Problems uploading SMC contour maps to Garmin 60CS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerard O'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Problems uploading SMC contour maps to Garmin 60CS Reply with quote

Never heard of the SMC or Contour 2 thing until last Friday when I found, successfully downloaded and installed it to Mapsource. Very Happy - all went really well (courtesy of the wealth of the online guidance available - for which thanks) until I tried uploading to the GPS.

Despite having plenty of memory available, many efforts to transfer data were unsuccessful. The GPS seems to lock, displaying the message 'transferring data' for long after Mapsource has confirmed successful data transfer. Eventually had to kill the power. No transfer completed. Tried many times with same result, experimenting with filename size, file size. Eventually got it to load seven maps (essentially Ireland east), which look as they should on the Garmin. Got confident then and tried a larger upload, which succeeded only in erasing these. After numerous attempts got these to load again, and am somewhat reluctant to try again until I know more.

Question is - was I doing something wrong, is there some known problem, or do I just have a temperamental GPS receiver? I have searched various sites plus this forum, and have not seen any other reference to this problem. So, any insights would be welcome.

For info, I am running the latest Mapsource (having downloaded and installed the upgrade), and also upgraded the Garmin O/S to 4.1. Connectivity is via USB.
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, G.O.

This isn't a known issue with Contours 2 specifically. However, similar problems have been known to happen with uploading large map sets tpo various Garmin GPS units.

Where the cause has been identified, it's often found to be a hardware conflict on the PC comms/USB port. This should be checked for first, before assuming that the GPSr itself is faulty.

-Wlw
dino

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried uploading smaller Mapsource maps to see if the problem is happening with other products? If it does it's likely that the fault lies with either Mapsource or the GPSr
Gerard O'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Problems uploading SMC contour maps to Garmin 60CS Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. At least I feel more confident that I am not doing something fundamentally wrong - although it may have been easier if I was! I have tried just uploaded some tracks from the OSI Trailmaster, and these transferred without a hitch. While these are very small files, it does seem to suggest that the basic transfer mechanism is OK. I will fiddle about with some smaller stuff on Mapsource and see what that tells me. As regards possible conflicts - some research is required before I would know where to look for these, so that will have to wait a couple of weeks until I have some exams out of the way.....
TurnerTech

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know if my comments will help.

Try downloading just a couple of Contours 2 tiles and a couple of Mapsource tiles and see if that works OK. If so it might suggest a memory size problem, although Mapsource ususlly tells you if you are exceeding the size of the GP chip.

I downloaded the Mapsource betaq version 6.1.12b (or something). After that, mapsource could not find my GPS on the USB port. Eventually I downloaded the previous version and fortuantely everything came back to life.

So if you are using the Beta version, try reverting to the previous vesion and see if that fixes it.

Regards

Roy

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> SMC contour maps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: