Silent witness
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Silent witness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Silent witness Reply with quote

It's an extraordinary thing, this rivalry about numbers in our "non-competitive" hobby...

On the face of it, everyone just goes out and finds caches - individually, or with the family or small group. No-one is supposed to be watching what others are doing - and all the same somehow, strenuously-fought "contests" arise and are won or lost, almost in the background.

Firth of Forth's celebrated race with Pooter to reach 500 (in March) was a case in point: right up until the previous day, both protagonists were still denying that there was any competition!

Here in Ireland, another such "numbers" game is being played, unnoticed by almost anyone. It's between two cachers who have never met, nor ever commented on what's going on: Merann and Kili or Bust.

Family team Merann have long held the title as Ireland's top ranked cache-finder. KorB on the other hand, only entered the hobby in September last year - but has been hoovering them up like a hard day's work since then. Like all good numbers men, Sean (KorB) denies that he tries for any set targets, but we know different...

It all kicked off back in July, when KorB set out on a long-distance cachathon which, if successful, would have resulted in him beating Wildlifewriter to 200. However, I was aware of his motions, and he failed only by a couple of hours (shades of Pooter).

Meanwhile, league-leader Mervyn (Team Merann) was out of action as a result of illness, and had been stuck on 243 for some time. This became KorB's next target, and he swept through Munster in August and Ulster in September, seeking what he might devour and even taking the lead for a while.

Out of hospital at last, Merann convalesced with a short holiday in the Galway/Connemara area - and somehow managed to encounter 25 caches during it. (Which takes some doing in the west of Ireland, believe me.)

It was clear that KorB would never catch up at this rate, since he had done most of the easier caches at home. There was only one thing to do: take yet another vacation...

Since arriving in Torremolinos (!) Sean has found 23 caches all over southern Spain, and there he remains at the moment. Mervyn, meanwhile, is steadily ticking them off and remains (just) in the lead.

Merann: 288 ... Kili or Bust: 286

Of course, it's not a numbers game, and neither of them is watching what the other is doing.

Of course they aren't... Smile

-Wlw.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too say that I am not a numbers man, but since starting 3 other cachers have came onto the scene, roolku who started several months after me, and does most of his caching on bike, has soared past my total, Allieballie, got her 300th on the same day as I did, but has bagged her 400th months before I will get the chance too. Then there is Ullium who started caching the about the same time as I bagged my 100th, he has has quite openly said that his target is to take over me, well at the moment we both sit on 355, an achievement that we both got to on the same day.
Considering Team Ullium has never bagged a locationless and proud of the fact (don't know why still a cache in my opinion). I think I can say that he has shot ahead of me, despite being on the same number.

I of course don't care, as I am not a numbers man. That's why I don't get up at 3am in the morning so that I can bag as many caches as possible in the one day Confused

If you believe that you will believe anything!!

Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just posting this note, so that my number of posts sits at 103 with Wlw Laughing Laughing Laughing
Not that I am a numbers man of course Wink

allieballie
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggis Hunter wrote:
Allieballie, got her 300th on the same day as I did, but has bagged her 400th months before I will get the chance too. Then there is Ullium who started caching the about the same time as I bagged my 100th, he has has quite openly said that his target is to take over me

Laughing Laughing HH, I'm laughing because I suspect that Ulliums target is also to overtake me!! I think he has some fiendish plans in store including mega-assaults on Perth and Fife. Eh Bill? Wink
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allieballie wrote:
Haggis Hunter wrote:
Allieballie, got her 300th on the same day as I did, but has bagged her 400th months before I will get the chance too. Then there is Ullium who started caching the about the same time as I bagged my 100th, he has has quite openly said that his target is to take over me

Laughing Laughing HH, I'm laughing because I suspect that Ulliums target is also to overtake me!! I think he has some fiendish plans in store including mega-assaults on Perth and Fife. Eh Bill? Wink

Or perhaps Ullium's Target is to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! MWAAAAHHHH!!!
If not then perhaps the toilet??

Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think any of you need to worry, he's just gone to a new cache and retrieved a TB he put in his latest cache just a few days earlier, probably a symptom of old-timers disease (sorry, bill, couldn't resist).

Last edited by Scotsbob on Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update... (8/10/05)

Current nerve-jangling score: Merann: 298, Kili or Bust: 296.

Bookmakers refusing to take any more money on either runner.

-Wlw.
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story: Geocaching Daily Herald 18.00hrs

The first 300-find by a resident Irish cacher was logged this afternoon by Team Merann at the recently re-sited End of the Rainbow in County Antrim.

This re-establishes Merann as the top-ranked cachers in Ireland, narrowly beating Dublin cachemaniac Kili or bust (296) into second place.

Mervyn of Team Merann has had a nasty time of it over the summer, with an extended stay in hospital. Good to see him and the family up and at 'em again.

Sound job.

-Wlw.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Team Meran on being the first Irish cachers to get to 300, even although they are not on these forums, perhaps they can be invited??
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggis Hunter wrote:
even although they are not on these forums, perhaps they can be invited??

Done.

-Wlw.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: