Hidden members
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Hidden members

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Hidden members Reply with quote

I wonder what other members think of the facility for being able to be 'hidden' so that your name doesn't show up when you log into the forum. Given that one of our aims was to be upfront about who we are (no sock puppet accounts allowed etc) it seems to me that this shouldn't be allowed, but I don't even know if it's possible to take away this option.

Views on this anyone?
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we are also an open forum unlike geofrees, I don't see a problem with this, as anyone that wants to view and not be seen will log in as a non member.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggis Hunter wrote:
As we are also an open forum unlike geofrees, I don't see a problem with this, as anyone that wants to view and not be seen will log in as a non member.

Yes, true, but they don't then have access to all of the forum sections. Why would anyone want to be hidden, I wonder, if they have bothered to be registered?

The theme of openness could be taken to include how members behave, ie being open about one's presence.

I fully support the option of viewing the forum as a guest.
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant see any advantage to being hidden but there are lots of disadvantages of introducing such a facility. In short my opinion would be to keep things how they are.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Wolf wrote:
Cant see any advantage to being hidden but there are lots of disadvantages of introducing such a facility. In short my opinion would be to keep things how they are.

Not sure what you mean BW - it's already a facility though it's not used very much. Occasionally at the bottom of the forum list you will see which members are currently viewing the website - then it says how many members are 'hidden' (ie their names dont show up) and hiow many are 'guests'.
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its that long since I looked at the profile page I had forgotten that this was currently possible to do. I have always assumed that everyone's name shows up at the bottom and I guess that is what most people think is the norm. If the hiding facility can be withdrawn then I am all for it.
gxadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is slightly complicated issue.

FoF is right: members in good standing would be expected to have their online status displayed unless there is a good reason to arrange otherwise, but we have no "rule" about this.

The default setting on the board is for online status to be displayed. When a new member joins, and this setting is found to be "hidden", Admins may change it back without notice, or may ask the new member privately to explain why the "hidden" option was taken.

Automated spambots normally set all display options to "hidden" when joining a forum, but we weed these out on a regular basis anyway.

-GxAdmin

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site News & Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: