My new toy
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

My new toy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: My new toy Reply with quote

Here's what I have just bought - I know you have all been waiting with bated breath. Very Happy

GPS Map 60CSX from the USA for £240 + £22 P&P+insurance.
I am not sure why we need to pay up to £400 for the equivalent item here in the UK.

It came with MapSource v6.5 and Metroguide v7 Europe. MetroGuide does not need an unlock code so it could, I suppose, be used on any mapping GPS.
The pre installed USA Recreational base map is useless for here. Buy a MapSource product of your choice and install your that onto the memory card. There are many to choose from - City select, the expensive Topo GB... or stick with MetroGuide as I intend to do.

I have downloaded the excellent free SMC contour set too. This can be used with MapSource (use the foolproof WLW guide - link on this forum) Make sure that the files come from the new SMC website and not the old "Luke" mirror.

MetroGuide is not Auto routable - however, it apparently will work in auto route mode with an application called img2gps.

The standard 64MB card is big enough to take the whole of Scotland using MetroGuide and SMC overlays. However I have ordered a new microSD card so I can eventually get all the UK on the GPS using MetroGuide. A 256MB card would probably do for this but I understnd a 1GB card is needed for Topo GB.

Any nerdy / geeky questions can be directed my way if you like.
Thanks to McPharisee for forcing me to buy this new piece of kit.
ghiribizzo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My new toy Reply with quote

HighlandNick wrote:

I am not sure why we need to pay up to £400 for the equivalent item here in the UK.

Until more people figure out you can do this and e.g. buy branded SD cards at about a third of the price of Pissy Werld on eBay then the prices will stay high in rip-off Britain.
Like the guy 'convincing' me not to buy a US PDA because it wouldn't be ok for UK mains. Um. The charger does 110-250V and I thought a 99p adapter would be needed to do the job till one arrived 'thrown-in' with another purchase! Sorted!
If I a) got informed service and b) a reasonable price then I'll buy it High Street.
But when matey is 'wrong' and you get impeccable service from Hong Kong at £130 less then that's where the money goes.
Rubbery! Wink
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My new toy Reply with quote

HighlandNick wrote:
Here's what I have just bought - I know you have all been waiting with bated breath. Very Happy
(snip)MetroGuide is not Auto routable - however, it apparently will work in

Mu understanding is that this WILL work, but that address lookups and similar functions do not.

-Wlw
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My new toy Reply with quote

Wildlifewriter wrote:
address lookups ........ do not.
-Wlw

Sorry Wlw - but it would appear that address lookups and the subsequent auto-routing to the address DOES work!
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My new toy Reply with quote

HighlandNick wrote:
Sorry Wlw - but it would appear that address lookups and the subsequent auto-routing to the address DOES work!

That's interesting. Cetainly it was not the case with earlier units, so there's been a change for the better.

(Pssst.... nobody mention this to Garmin, OK? Mums the word.)

-Wlw

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: