Backup (or die)
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Backup (or die)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Backup (or die) Reply with quote

Of course everybody backs up their PC data don't they??
Now a friend of mine (haha - heard that one before) suffered a complete PC meltdown and lost the lot...
New hard disc purchased, fresh start.

Now what advice have you got for this good mate, in terms of backup systems that I just know you all use?

Come on now, don't be shy, you can confess here that you don't do anything, Or let me know the best system to use. Off site Internet backup? External hard drive? Software choice (free if possible!)
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment all my files including downloaded programmes fit onto a 1GB memory stick. All other programmes are on disc and in a drawer.
Do I need to back up anything else or is this sufficient whilst I have got the space on a memory stick?
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My good mate lost all his email addresses and bookmarks / favourites from his browser app.
Items like these might also be worthwhile saving too.........

PS Anybody out there who used to email him can send their up to date address via me please. Very Happy Very Happy
ghiribizzo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

External hard drive and photos also on cds.
But cds don't last forever - the ones we burn don't last like commercial audio discs so make new backups of your backups every few years.
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Ive been there before and If starting from scratch again, its best to set up the hard drive to have 2 partitions so that it looks like you have a C: drive and a D: drive.

This then allows you to install all your programs to the C: drive but then keep all your data on the D: drive. Doing this ensure that you only have to back up the D: drive i.e. only the data and not the programs which can be re-loaded off the original cd's.

You can also set Internet explorer (and other browsers) to store the favorites lists etc on the D: drive as well.

I backup my data to DVD's which hold about 4Gb per disk.
Jack Aubrey
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pause to be REALLY tedious. Stop an archivist in the street (they're the anxious looking people) and they will tell you that it's not just a question about how we back up personal data. Since things began to go digital (anyone remember punched tape?) there have been several gazillion storage systems and before that (microfiche, anyone?) there was a gazillion more. So there's plenty of data out there, but the systems to read it have gone to landfill years ago. There is a real risk that the society which produced more information than any other before it goes down to history as a "dark age". Spooky, isn't it?!

Ancient and Historical Jack
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, those were the days. I can clearly remember punched tape (and punch cards.) One of my first jobs was to use punched tape to load programs into various basic computing systems. And as for microfiche, we still use it at work to archive files with!
Naefearjustbeer
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick I think I met your friend recently!! Hope all goes well with the back ups Very Happy It is making me start to think about all my info. I have all my pictures maps and mp3s backed up twice well actually 3 times 2 different external usb drives and every now and then I burn a set of dvds. I now only use web based email and my handy links are on my personal website.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got my computer back after a complete meltdown. For the past week I have only had internet access at work. Still got to get home and have the fun of re-loading everything now. Confused

Luckily all my photo's and documents where backed up, but I have lost all my favourites. Can someone start a thread for all the geocaching links that there are??

Sad Sad Sad
Jacobite
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BW's idea of partioning the drive is a good idea, the only problem I've had with that is when you suffer complete drive meltdown. 9 times out of 10 there's always room in your tower for another hard drive, along with an extra power supply and IDE connection. Even sticking a wee drive in it should be enough room for most people. However, a larger drive is useful if you store video on your hard drive.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a complete meltdown, hard drive, motherboard and it's just gone back in as the DVD driver is up the spout as well, can't get any discs to run.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: