mapsource registry error
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

mapsource registry error
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plymgeocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: mapsource registry error Reply with quote

Ive downloaded and installed the contour files and added to the registry, now when i click on my mapsource icon to open city select the programme wont start it tells me there is a registry error.

Any help appreciated thanks.
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The files are not installed in the expected location.

Work though the installation instructions, and check (double check, triple check) that the the folders are named and located EXACTLY as specified.

The folder with all the unzipped files in it MUST be...

Code:
C:\Program Files\Garmin\Contours v2

-Wlw
plymgeocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for replying the file path is correct, do u have to unzip the files in order as i do know i unzipped file n53 before n51, n52 i tried the merge option again but the mapsource programme still yes registry error reinstall the map source software.

Thanks.
dick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The order that files are unzipped and installed is not important. You need to unzip/install v2essentials and one or more of the others. Check that the files are actually in the Contoursv2 folder. Their names will be something like 14000051.img (depends which ones you have loaded, there will be lots of these), Contours V2.img, Contours V2.reg, Contours V2.TDB, readme.txt and test_pv.txt. As Wildlifewriter has said check and check again that these files are in C:\Program Files\Garmin\Contours V2.

Please take great care with this paragraph's instruction and DO NOT change anything, only look. I am assuming that you are using Windows XP - may not be correct for other versions. If in doubt, don't do it. I am going to suggest that you look at your Registry. Follow instructions carefully:
1. From Start button select Run
2. Enter regedit and press OK button
3. A window will open with left and right hand panes.
4. In left pane you should see My Computer at top with 5 folders under it, all starting HKEY_. If these have been opened, click on the - signs until only the 5 folders are shown.
5. Open by pressing + sign HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
6. Scroll down and open SOFTWARE
7. Scroll down and open Garmin
8. Scroll down and open MapSource
9. Scroll down and open Products
10. Scroll down and open Contours V2
11. In right pane you will see 4 items (DON'T TOUCH) named: (Default), BMAP, LOC and TDB. The last 3 should point to C:\program files\garmin\contours v2. If not we have a problem. Take a pencil note of what you see if it is different and let us know.
12. Close Regedit window by clicking X top RH corner.

Hoping that this helps but do be carefull when looking at the registry.
plymgeocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dick thanks for your help, under mapsource products i only have a folder that says 131 but the 4 items u have mentioned r in that folder and r listed under c:\program files\garmin\contours says nothing about v2 even though the folder i have installed them in is called contours v2.

Thanks Gary.

p.s the 131 folder is the only folder i have listed under products.

Last edited by plymgeocacher on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
dick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of Windows are you using?
plymgeocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using xp home addition sp2.
dick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have loaded the wrong registry file. When you downloaded the files from SMC in the Essentials.zip there should be Contours V2.reg and this is the one you must use.
plymgeocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have downloaded the essentials zip file again but the contours reg file in there still says nothing about v2. under properties Just says NAME contours.reg TYPE registration entries.
dick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please confirm that you have been downloading files from:
http://www.smc.org.uk/contour_maps2.htm . You seem to be getting the version 1 set. The files are at the bottom of the page. If you have been getting them from elsewhere you must download again I'm afraid. You can start with only V2essentials.zip.

Also, I think we need to get rid of the 131 entry you found in your registry. To do this re-find it and hi-light it in left pane. Right click mouse button over it and select Delete. Please take great care as registry editing is very dangerous. This action should bring back your Mapsource.

Keep us informed
plymgeocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for your help with give that ago. For some reason i could only down load the files from the mirrored web site page as i kept getting web site not responding on the normal smc site. Do u know if i have to download everything again or just the essentials file as the wrong files will exist in the contours folder?
plymgeocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapsource back up and running. will try the link u posted later off to work now.

Thanks Gary.
dick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use the version 2 files which are a great imprvement over version 1 you will need to start again and download the lot. Before that suggest you delete all the files in your Contours v2 folder to get rid of the rubbish. Let us know how you get on.
plymgeocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks to every one who has helped. Deleted and downloaded all the new files and installed them with no problems and everything works fine, even tried them on my gps 60cs and it looks brilliant. Very Happy

Bookmarked the link as i seemed to be using an old smc web site, the posted link took me to a totally different looking smc site.

Thanks again Gary.
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plymgeocacher wrote:
Hi thanks to every one who has helped. Deleted and downloaded all the new files and installed them with no problems and everything works fine, even tried them on my gps 60cs and it looks brilliant. Very Happy

Bookmarked the link as i seemed to be using an old smc web site, the posted link took me to a totally different looking smc site.

Glad you got it all working at last.

From what has happened, it appears that the old (out of date) files are still available on the web. I'll try to contact Luke and ask him to remove them.

-Wlw

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> SMC contour maps All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: