Membership categories
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Membership categories
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gxadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Membership categories Reply with quote

Membership categories

We sort of don't have any at the moment - apart from a special one for Luke O'Zade, all of his own. Smile

All new joiners are currently given the title "Founder Member", and it's planned that this will apply to those who register within the first month of GeoX's operation.

After that, there'll be some other scheme... Question

-GxAdmin
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you reckon, a scheme that recognises how many posts you make, or one that recognises how long you have been a member, or even how many times you visit the site??
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggis Hunter wrote:
What do you reckon, a scheme that recognises how many posts you make, or one that recognises how long you have been a member, or even how many times you visit the site??

Don't get carried away now - it sounds like you are about to go over to the "even darker" side. Twisted Evil
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggis Hunter wrote:

Or, the number of geocaching centuries that you have. Twisted Evil
Decisive Twins
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saying hello, having signed up for this forum today.

Just back from darkest Africa and a successful ascent of Kilimanjaro - 5895m above sea level. Suffering slightly from jet lag and missing luggage, however if the luggage doesn't turn up it saves a hell of a lot of washing.

can we say hell here?
the DTs Razz Razz Razz Razz
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DTs,

Glad to hear that your African trip was a success (apart from the luggage problem) and good to see you here. And what are the African caches like? And what height did you start your ascent at??
Decisive Twins
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well unfortunately the luggage turned up and we have started the washing. Everything is needing 2 washes to get the dust and dirt out.

We started the ascent at 1800 m above sea level walking though equitorial rain forest and saw no wildlife (guess they have more sense to keep away from the path). Made up for the lack of wildlife on safari afterwards - really cool. Saw most of the big 5 except cheatah, but seeing the creatures in their natural state was amazing.

Having a lazy start to the day today, as my first day back at work was a day trip to Basel - a bit cream crackered now.....
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Membership categories Reply with quote

gxadmin wrote:

All new joiners are currently given the title "Founder Member", and it's planned that this will apply to those who register within the first month of GeoX's operation.

After that, there'll be some other scheme... Question

-GxAdmin

Is there any other thoughts on what the membership categories are going to be yet?
It would be nice if they could be done differently to most other forums, but I don't know how feasible that is?

HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Membership categories Reply with quote

Haggis Hunter wrote:

Is there any other thoughts on what the membership categories are going to be yet?
It would be nice if they could be done differently to most other forums, but I don't know how feasible that is?

Why bother at all - isn't it just good enough to read each others posts rather than worry about membership status or categories?
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Membership categories Reply with quote

HighlandNick wrote:
Haggis Hunter wrote:

Why bother at all - isn't it just good enough to read each others posts rather than worry about membership status or categories?

Actually, I agree. Different membership statuses could give rise to problems and we don't want to repeat the mistakes of other forums (fora?). How about we are all just members??
Jack Aubrey
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Membership categories Reply with quote

Firth of Forth wrote:
HighlandNick wrote:
Haggis Hunter wrote:

Actually, I agree. Different membership statuses could give rise to problems and we don't want to repeat the mistakes of other forums (fora?). How about we are all just members??

That goes for me, too. At the moment there's really only two kinds of people here - those who have climbed Kilimajaro and those who haven't.! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Not that I'm envious or anything......

Entirely Disinterested (and who does he think he's kidding?) Jack
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Membership categories Reply with quote

Jack Aubrey wrote:
Firth of Forth wrote:
HighlandNick wrote:
Haggis Hunter wrote:

That goes for me, too. At the moment there's really only two kinds of people here - those who have climbed Kilimajaro and those who haven't.! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Not that I'm envious or anything......

Entirely Disinterested (and who does he think he's kidding?) Jack

I too am in agreeance, I only asked because gxadmin brought up the subject with this thread?
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we need another democratic poll?? Laughing

But, if so, make sure the question isn't too complicated. Cool
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own personal view is that a simple category of "Member" is adequate, as suggested above. I'd like to keep the "Founder member" category, to recognise those who supported the forum in it's early days - unless there are objections to this.

But, as far as alternatives go: the only "automatic" mechanism available to us is the one which counts posts to advance a category. All other stats - number of found centuries or individual ascents of Kilimanjaro (for example) would have to be administered manually.

Since I am a sick, tired, worn-out old man who will probably die soon, it would be nice not to have this extra work...

-Wlw.
Jack Aubrey
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildlifewriter wrote:
My own personal view is that a simple category of "Member" is adequate..

-Wlw.

There's a rather different category that isn't recognised in this list. It's men who have done something for others and for the world around them. Doesn't have to be a category on the Forum. Except we all know who it is that would make it. Thanks, Paul. Thanks for caring and thanks for trying. It makes a difference. It really does.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site News & Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: