GSAK
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

GSAK
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: GSAK Reply with quote

This is a new topic specifically to post questions and tips for using that versatile tool, GSAK.
There has been some interest in using GSAK in other threads, so we'll see how this one goes and if it becomes a success.
Remember, there is a specific GSAK forum http://www.gsak.net/board/index.php?
but this can be very technical. Hopefully this thread will have some examples that relate specifically to our own interests.
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Mind your P's and Q's Reply with quote

If, like me, you get regular PQ's sent from GC.com, why not set up a separate email account to host only these?
I have a GoogleMail account. This is free (by invitation - just ask me...) and can store over a whopping 2GB of files. After setting up your Gmail account, if you want another one, you can invite yourself!
My PQ's get delivered there and I leave them until I want them loading up into GSAK.
To get them, go to File and then Get data via email.
All the latest files are downloaded into GSAK and then moved to my Recycle Bin for deletion.

For full details, in GSAK go to Help in the menu bar, select Contents and under the Find tab, type Get Mail for an interactive screenshot.
yob kulcha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Arc/Polygon Reply with quote

This tip from Highland Nick is very handy.

Another way of finding caches (and there are many!!) is to use the Arc/Polygon feature in GSAK.
To do this, select a few known caches (or other grid references) along the proposed route. I chose King Brude and Neptunes Staircase because I know that a simple straight line right down Great Glen will follow the required route!! Then in GSAK set a distance away from these "linked" caches. I chose 10 miles although I know this is quite a way off the straight line route.
This is a very simple way to generate a list of possible caches and returned 31 caches.
Most of these will not actually be on the route at all, but exporting these 31 into a mapping program such as Memory Map would then allow you to see which ones you can do that fit your own criteria
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Returning to the Yob Kulcha problem of locating caches near a route....
If I didn't know or the names of any caches near my route I can do this:

As I use Memory - Map, I can draw a Track on the map. This could start in Fort William and finish in Inverness and follow the actual Great Glen route.
A right click on the route after I have drawn it, and Save as - choose the Save As Type as GPS eXchange files Name the file as something suitable and save to your prefered location.

In GSAK, click on the Set Filter icon in the Toolbar. This opens up the filter options. In the Arc/Poly tab, click on the Load from File button and then select your saved file from the Windows Edxplorer menu.
This will put the entire route you have chosen into GSAK and you can now select a lateral Distance in miles you want to deviate from your walk.
Click on Go and you have all your caches ready to view.
Obviously, you need to have already loaded a whole slew of caches from GC first via your PQ.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'own' caches in my own name, but also have joint caches with Jack. Is there a way in GSAK to make it recognise 'Jack Aubrey & Firth of Forth' or 'Firth of Forth & Jack Aubrey' as my caches too?
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I filter out GSAK, say I wanted to delete all of the disabled or found caches for instance?
dino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To hide all disabled/archived caches:

Search >> Filter

Untick archived and temporarily disabled. Click Go and hey presto.

To delete disabled/archived then do the opposite and untick available and delete the waypoints in the filter (Waypoint >> Delete Waypoint(s) >> This filter only)

A quick way to filter is to duble-click on the coloured squares in the bottom righthand corner of GSAK. They are Found, Available, Owned, Disabled/Archived.

Make sure you keep your archived caches up to date or your data could get stale.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question:

Is there a way for me to make GSAK recognise those caches that I have placed jointly with Jack (ie in his name) as mine too, so that they don't show up as unfound caches?
dino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use multiple user IDs separated by a semi-colon. Found it in the help file Smile
dino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specific Link: http://www.gsak.net/help/hs7690.htm

From this page: http://www.gsak.net/help/hs7500.htm
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I suppose I could have worked that out eventually myself by looking at the help section, then! Puzzled
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may ahve to be led by the hand through this GSAk maze. Adding in 'Jack Aubrey and Firth of Forth' separated by a semi-colon, reduces my finds by 15 and shows me as having no placed caches at all. Confused
dino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the user ID which is a numerical id number. The first link I gave you explains how to get it but he link below details an easier method:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=96012&st=0&p=1432885&#entry1432885
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - I will have to wait until Jack gets home to get his user id - don't think he's ever made a post on g.com.

But then.....thinking out loud here.......won't all of his caches also then be recognised as mine? I only want the 'JA and FoF' ones to show up as mine.
dino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I didn't realise exactly what you wanted! I don't think that's possible without using a macro or something similar.

It's possible that you could manually tag the caches in some way and filter them out but I don't know enough about that to advise you.

You might get a better response on the GSAK Support Forum: http://www.gsak.net/board/index.php

edit to add:

You could set up a new account to set joint caches. That would have a separate id and they really would be your caches then. You would have to adopt all the existing caches into the new account though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: