help wanted
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

help wanted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: help wanted Reply with quote

I intend cycling along part of the Great Glen from Fort Augustus to Fort William later in the year, does anyone have a list of caches along the route that I could do without straying too far, I 'll be travelling with non cachers and don't want to hold them up.

Thanks
Crazy Druid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: help wanted Reply with quote

Scotsbob wrote:
I intend cycling along part of the Great Glen from Fort Augustus to Fort William later in the year, does anyone have a list of caches along the route that I could do without straying too far, I 'll be travelling with non cachers and don't want to hold them up.

Thanks

Looking at the route on Google Earth, Neptunes Staircase is right at the end of your route. GlenGarry, GlenRospo looks to be the only other along it, and thats about 6 miles of the track....

I don't know how often the info is updated on GE??

Time to drop a few Caches on your trip?? Very Happy

John
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, had just looked at Neptunes, should be ok, Glengarry, a bit off road, as for putting out caches good idea but I couldn't maintain them so will leave that up to local cachers.
I'm sure folk like Highland Nick and others may come up with something
Cheers
Team Ballibeg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is when I find having all the UK caches on Autoroute very handy. When it works out a driving route for you you can then click on the route, set the number of miles to search from the route and it will list all the different sorts of caches with in x miles of the route.

There again it didn't disagree with GE!

Dave

ps I could share the Autoroute file if folk interested?

edited to add- Zip file (1.1meg) here..

http://www.ballibeg.talktalk.net/
yob kulcha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're walking the Great Glen way in a few weeks time and we're looking at these:

Neptunes Staircase
Grasshopper
All Tied Up
Woodiness
King Brude

I haven't studied them very closely and I may have had a glass of wine or three when I chose them but have a look and see if you think they're all doable.

EDIT: Sorry, just reread your post and saw that you're only cycling a part of the way.
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way of finding caches (and there are many!!) is to use the Arc/Polygon feature in GSAK.
To do this, select a few known caches (or other grid references) along the proposed route. I chose King Brude and Neptunes Staircase because I know that a simple straight line right down Great Glen will follow the required route!! Then in GSAK set a distance away from these "linked" caches. I chose 10 miles although I know this is quite a way off the straight line route.
This is a very simple way to generate a list of possible caches and returned 31 caches.
Most of these will not actually be on the route at all, but exporting these 31 into a mapping program such as Memory Map would then allow you to see which ones you can do that fit your own criteria.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the kind of stuff I need....how to make use of GSAK in step-by-step lessons. I'm sure that there is loads more that I could do with it that I have no idea about. So thanks Nick.
yob kulcha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighlandNick wrote:
Another way of finding caches (and there are many!!) is to use the Arc/Polygon feature in GSAK.

Good tip Nick. Cheers. I tend to use the "much wine, many regrets" method. Not quite as efficient.
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a feeling some of you guys (or gals ) would come up trumps. I will investigate further, hopefully learning the ropes of GSAK along the way(so to speak), thanks HN & YK

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: