Caching in N Ireland
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Caching in N Ireland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazy Frog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Caching in N Ireland Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi
I'm come over to stay with my dad nexted month he live's in Newtownabbey. I've not done any caches over there yet can any body
suggest any good one's for me please.

Gail (Crazy Frog) Smile

[Admin: moved to general forum]
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to GeoX, Gail. Smile

Newtownabbey itself is something of a cache desert, probably for lack of suitable locations.

Recommendations could only depend on how much time you have, and what sort of transport might be available to you. In comparison with England, caches here are widely spaced and use of a car is almost essential.

For family-friendly caches, involving nice walks but no out-and-out mountaineering, there are suitable clusters of caches in Antrim town, in south Belfast, north Down (Bangor/Newtownards) and also around Newcastle Co. Down.

Some of the best caches in Ireland can be found along the North Coast of County Antrim, and (if a car is available) these can make for a great day out. I have made a bookmark list covering these.

Hth,

-Wlw
crazy Frog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your help Wildlifewriter it's been very helpful.
I will be coming over with car.

My son's The Penguin boys 5 & 7 they walk mile's caching the longest yet was about 10mile's. Im hoping to get my 300th well I'm over and hopefully do some of your caches they look good.
Thank's very much for your reply Smile

Gail (Crazy Frog) Very Happy
crazy Frog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: OS Maps of NI Reply with quote

What is the best way for caching over in NI?

We have Memory Map and Navigater (Tom Tom) or (Destinator) over in England. Even using standard OS 1:50000 maps is not to bad.

I have received paper copies of the OS NI maps but the grid references don't seem to match the grid ref on the cache page (if any are supplied).
Navigater doesn't seem to have detailed roads on it.

Help pleaseeeeee Sad
allieballie
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy Frog wrote:

My son's The Penguin boys 5 & 7 they walk mile's caching the longest yet was about 10mile's.

WOW!!! I am so impressed and envious! My six year old wouldn't do anything nearly as long as that (longest one in one go was probably about 3 miles total!). Though I suppose he might have done more than that spread over several different caches in the same day. Was the 10 miles one on flat terrain and was it just for one cache?
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: OS Maps of NI Reply with quote

crazy Frog wrote:
I have received paper copies of the OS NI maps but the grid references don't seem to match the grid ref on the cache page (if any are supplied)

These secondary position refs are a problem just now. Sad

Caches in NI which are shown as "United Kingdom" have a false OSGB grid reference shown - which doesn't work.

Caches shown as "Ireland" have UTM refs, which aren't much use either.

The site used to show the correct Irish Grid refs, until GC.com changed the web style sheets on their site, a few months ago. Since then, Irish Grid has disappeared.

I've sent a couple of e-mails to them about this, but nothing has been done. (Irish geocachers still aren't terribly popular in Seattle, these days. Shocked )

If you have access to a PC while over here, cut-'n-copy the Lat/Long into the portal at Nearby.Org. This will also provide a referenced link to online OSNI mapping (multimap.com) which will give you an idea about routes and parking places.

Hth,

-Wlw
crazy Frog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allieballie wrote:
crazy Frog wrote:

My son's The Penguin boys 5 & 7 they walk mile's caching the longest yet was about 10mile's.

WOW!!! I am so impressed and envious! My six year old wouldn't do anything nearly as long as that (longest one in one go was probably about 3 miles total!). Though I suppose he might have done more than that spread over several different caches in the same day. Was the 10 miles one on flat terrain and was it just for one cache?

The 10 mile hike was just the one cache, decided to go for a family day out at Spurn Head near hull, very flat has it is along a very narrow bit of coast.
crazy Frog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: OS Maps of NI Reply with quote

Wildlifewriter wrote:
crazy Frog wrote:
I have received paper copies of the OS NI maps but the grid references don't seem to match the grid ref on the cache page (if any are supplied)

These secondary position refs are a problem just now. Sad

Caches in NI which are shown as "United Kingdom" have a false OSGB grid reference shown - which doesn't work.

Caches shown as "Ireland" have UTM refs, which aren't much use either.

The site used to show the correct Irish Grid refs, until GC.com changed the web style sheets on their site, a few months ago. Since then, Irish Grid has disappeared.

I've sent a couple of e-mails to them about this, but nothing has been done. (Irish geocachers still aren't terribly popular in Seattle, these days. Shocked )

If you have access to a PC while over here, cut-'n-copy the Lat/Long into the portal at Nearby.Org. This will also provide a referenced link to online OSNI mapping (multimap.com) which will give you an idea about routes and parking places.

Hth,

-Wlw

Thanks, doing a bit of prep before we go and are plotting the positions on NI OS Maps by going into the cache page and clicking on Microsoft Mappoint.

Thought there might have been an easier way, oh well!!
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: OS Maps of NI Reply with quote

crazy Frog wrote:
Thought there might have been an easier way, oh well!!

Alas, no Irish OS maps for PDA are available off the shelf from MM, Fugawi, Anquet or any of their ilk.

We hear the new Garmin road mapping is quite good, but that won't work on your yellow eTrex of course.

-Wlw
Seacon
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy Frog wrote:
Thank you very much for your help Wildlifewriter it's been very helpful.
I will be coming over with car.

My son's The Penguin boys 5 & 7 they walk mile's caching the longest yet was about 10mile's. Im hoping to get my 300th well I'm over and hopefully do some of your caches they look good.
Thank's very much for your reply Smile

I see from recent logs of local caches, that CRazy Frog and her Penquin Boys have taken your advice and have arrived in Northern Ireland and are actively caching during their stay. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: