GPS/PDA combo - advice needed
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

GPS/PDA combo - advice needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yob kulcha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: GPS/PDA combo - advice needed Reply with quote

While out caching with Highland Nick at the weekend I was much impressed by the Tom Tom Navigator he was using. I'm sure that purchasing something like this will be a great help to Mrs yob's jangling nerves as she has to drive while listening to my dodgy navigation.

Here's what I'd like to do:
I have a Garmin Legend C with a mini USB interface and I'm considering buying a Pocket PC (possibly an HP IPAQ HX4700) and installing navigation software in it with an aim to interfacing the two bits of kit.

Does anyone know if this is possible with a Legend C? The manual gives nothing away.
I've Googled for cables but can't find anything that looks suitable (ideally the Pocket PC & Legend would both be powered from the car's cigar lighter).
Any comments regarding navigation software?

All comments and advice gratefully received - especially from Nick since he has an excellent setup Smile
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bit of advice I could give would be to email http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk and see what they say.
yob kulcha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotsbob wrote:
Best bit of advice I could give would be to email http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk and see what they say.

Just had a quick look there and saw some suspiciously low prices for PDAs. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the link Bob.
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick bit of Googling came up with this page:
http://pc-mobile.net/gedc.htm
This says that you cannot link a Garmin Legend C with a PDA. This may be why I couldn't find the "Interface" option on your screen when I looked for it... Sad
The Garmin NMEA protocol has to be used (AFAIK) when transferring info from a USB GPS to the PDA as opposed to the GARMIN setting when uploading / downloading waypoints and tracks for GPS units with a serial port.

I don't know much about this next bit of "kit" but I know a man who does - come in Moote, your time is up....
GPSGate is an app (not hardware) that allows Garmin USB devices to connect to devices that need NMEA.
Get info from here:
http://franson.com/gpsgate/
or drop Moote a line for his document that explains more than this. There was a link posted on the forum earlier, but I can't find it for now.
barryhunter is the other man with the knowhow....

Last edited by HighlandNick on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
yob kulcha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh! the yob brain cell finally kicked in. I don't need fancy cables. If I buy a Pocket PC I'll get an in-car power cable for it, then I'll simply connect my Legend C to the PC via USB and the GPSr will be powered from there.

It takes me a while but I get there eventually.
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mootes guide to PocketPC:
http://www.chooseahome.org/pdfs/pdaguide.pdf
yob kulcha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighlandNick wrote:
A quick bit of Googling came up with this page:
http://pc-mobile.net/gedc.htm
This says that you cannot link a Garmin Legend C with a PDA. This may be why I couldn't find the "Interface" option on your screen when I looked for it... Sad
The Garmin NMEA protocol has to be used (AFAIK) when transferring info from the GPS to the PDA as opposed to the GARMIN setting when uploading / downloading waypoints and tracks.
Looks likw another (cheap) GPS with NMEA capability?

Hi Nick, I'm not giving up that easily Smile

This is what it says on the page.

"Important note: the new VistaC and LegendC do not have E type serial port like other eTrex models. Therefore cables on this page are not compatible. In fact they do not even seem to have serial port so they CANNOT connect any PDA! (prospective VistaC and LegendC purchasers should consult Garmin before making the purchase if you intend to use these with a PDA)"

The Legend C has a USB interface rather than a serial interface and so I'm assuming that there will be no need to specify a communication protocol since USB is a standard interface. I think that's why I don't have the protocol selection option.

EDIT: Just reread your post. I missed the bit about NMEA so I think I'll have to contact Garmin technical support to get the official answer.

I reckon that as long as the Pocket PC has a USB port I'll be ok. Can anyone else verify this?

Last edited by yob kulcha on Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - I found out about that too... That's why I edited it out!!!!
You saw the (original) unedited post Razz

Too quick by far.....
Billy Twigger
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yob kulcha wrote:

Just had a quick look there and saw some suspiciously low prices for PDAs. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the link Bob.

Nothing dodgy about globalpositioningsystems.co.uk - I use them far more than anyone should!!
(In fact I'm just about to place another order! Shhhhhh don't tell Mrs Twigger)
yob kulcha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I've now confirmed that the Legend C does not support NMEA (I got the info from this helpful website).

However, it looks like it's not an issue because of this gadget. Thanks for the link, Nick.

Now then, I need to sort out which Pocket PC to spend my hard-earned on.
yob kulcha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another possibility. The Legend C can load the new Garmin UK topo and it also supports navigation. OK, so you have to make do with beeps instead of John Cleese or Betty but I think I could cope.
The topo map is based on OS data so although it doesn't look like an OS map it should be pretty accurate.

Anyone have any experience of using it?
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After following some of the stuff recommended on the above posts, I decided to try and upload maps (again) from my Mapsource Cd which I got a year ago when I bought my Garmin Legend, a small tip from one of the sites helped when it said get the computer to recognise the GPS's ID number, once it did that everything worked perfectly and I now have increased mapping on my GPS.

Brilliant Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks to all who posted, I could have been looking for ages if not for this thread
yob kulcha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My final solution was to buy the Garmin Topo GB map for my Legend C. I don't need to buy Tom Tom now because the Legend C now does on-road navigation. I'll stick to my old Palm IIIc for paperless caching.

Sorted for £150 Thumbsup
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Palm Vx so I suppose I could use that. Never thought of using it before so what software do you use for the paperless use?
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/paperless.html

I've done it and it works on my Palm VX.

(Edited 27/2/06 to give correct address. Thanks BW)

Last edited by Scotsbob on Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: