How did I ever live before I had Memory Map?
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

How did I ever live before I had Memory Map?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: How did I ever live before I had Memory Map? Reply with quote

It's been said before, but I love Memory Map.I simply don't know how I managed to live before I acquired this fantastic programme. So, if you don't have it, find a way to get it!!

AB, you know how you love maps? Well, imagine you could zip around the whole of Scotland's OS maps on your computer, by simply dragging your mouse, zooming in and out to your heart's content.

Ok, I seem to have demolished a whole bottle of wine all by myself, with the excuse that I have to wait up for two teenagers to make an appearance. But what fun I've had zipping around Scotland. Shocked
yob kulcha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We seem to have something in common. Mrs yob and I are battering our way through the vineyards of Glasgow whilst awaiting news of number one son, following his excursion to Cumbernauld in chase of teenage thrills.

I bought the MemoryMap for the West Highland Way and was thoroughly smitten by it (to borrow a phrase). I wish I could afford the rest of Scotland but I'll probably save up my pennies for the coverage of the Great Glen Way which we hope to walk in May.

Happy Birthday by the way Smile
Mrs I

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't look at the maps last night, but I did have the wine. Shocked

But yes I too, love a stroll around the country on memory map, without leaving my chair Laughing
ghiribizzo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With MAGIC maps you have (possibly) interesting overlays for Nature reserves, SSI's etc. They can be toggled on/off. Admittedly the OS overlay is in monochrome but the UK coverage is... free.

http://www.magic.gov.uk/default.htm
allieballie
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: How did I ever live before I had Memory Map? Reply with quote

Firth of Forth wrote:

AB, you know how you love maps?

As most folk know, I usually avoid as many software programmes and such like as I can because I am rubbish at computing, however, having recently acquired some new-found IT skills (I can defragment! I can update my sysyem! Wink ) maybe it's time I moved on to things like this (and working out how to do PQ's, download waypoints etc - because I can't do any of that stuff either!). Yes, yes I bet you are all thinking I must be mad, but paper maps and paper caching and using my fingers to press buttons on my GPS to enter co-ords has worked successfully for me so far. But...I know I should at least try to bring myself into the 21st Century. I have a question though - how is Memory Map different to Fugawi?

P.S. No wine for me last night I'm afraid - I was on transport duty, plus I've actually only drunk one bottle of wine since Christmas-time!
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post ghiribizzo, never knew of the magic site before.
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How did I ever live before I had Memory Map? Reply with quote

Firth of Forth wrote:
It's been said before, but I love Memory Map.I simply don't know how I managed to live before I acquired this fantastic programme. So, if you don't have it, find a way to get it!!

Though I only have the demo version here, I agree that MM is an excellent product. It's much better than Fugawi, which has a dreadful user interface and more bugs than Life In The Undergrowth.

We're very fortunate in the British Isles to have Ordnance Survey maps. They're generally recognised - by people who should know - as the best general-purpose topo mapping in the world.

But here in Ulster, we're not likely to see a MM equivalent unless the entire senior management of OSNI is wiped out in some kind of freak accident.

MM 1:50000 OS mapping for Scotland/England North costs STG£ 115.00 or less.

Admittedly, OSNI do sell raster mapping for all Northern Ireland (an area of ¼ the size) - without elevation data or any of the other fancy MM stuff provided.

It costs STG£ 4,489.00 for the entire set... Banghead

-Wlw
Jack Aubrey
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How did I ever live before I had Memory Map? Reply with quote

allieballie wrote:
[I have a question though - how is Memory Map different to Fugawi?

There has to be someone who has both. Embarassed And there is someone who got Fugawi AFTER owning and using Memory Map Rolling Eyes Confused

Enter stage left Jack Aubrey (aka Inspector Gadget)

The two programmes are really quite similar; the base data is Ordnance Survey 1:50,000 maps in both of them and the basic functions are more or less the same. You can import and export cache data and locations, waypoints, tracks and routes with both programmes. And in both you can zoom in and out which is great for getting relative locations and then narrowing down, say, a cache location. Both allow you to print out maps for areas you delimit on screen - so you can print out maps with cache locations for use in the field.

But, in my opinion, MM is much the better product. The interface is easier to use and the functions are smoother than Fugawi. There is also a much wider range of maps available (other scales, marine charts etc). And the 3D "fly-through" function is great fun - although not of huge practical use!

So why did I get Fugawi as well? Because I have a Palm for paperless caching and Memory Map won't port over to the Palm OS. Fugawi will work on both Palm and Pocket PCs, but its functionality on the handheld is limited.

MM only works on Pocket PC. But it seems to work enviably well, with a wider range of functions operational than Fugawi has in handheld mode. FoF has the whole of Scotland on her handheld with caches overlaid. She finds that sometimes the machine freezes and needs a soft reset when scrolling, but I think that's the only problem she's had.

So if you are thinking of going paperless - highly recommended btw - the best route is probably MM and a Pocket PC. Although I like the Palm, I have to admit that PPCs generally have it beat for screen size and quality (as well as compatibility with Memory Map).

Oh dear, am I talking myself into another gadget purchase???? Shocked Shocked I may need pyschological help..... Wink

Jack (no longer able to go out caching because the way to the door is barricaded by heaps of manuals and charging cables)
ghiribizzo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How did I ever live before I had Memory Map? Reply with quote

Wildlifewriter wrote:

It costs STG£ 4,489.00 for the entire set... Banghead
-Wlw

A couple of years ago a customer who lived locally died. He had been a Professor of Zoology before retiring and had a full set of leather bound volumes of all the OS sheets. And geological sheets. Who knows where they went.
Sad
allieballie
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: How did I ever live before I had Memory Map? Reply with quote

[quote="ghiribizzo"]
Wildlifewriter wrote:

He had been a Professor of Zoology before retiring and had a full st of leather bound volumes of all the OS sheets. Who knows where they went.
Sad

Ghiribizzo, I am a Hons. grad in Zoology and a doctor in Aquatic Pathobiology, I hereby declare that if I die you can have all my paper maps - all 40+ O.S 1:50,000 of them. Plus your choice of science textbooks from the heaving shelves around me. I might not be any good at I.T. but I sure know a lot about hoarding.......
Naefearjustbeer
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory map really is the best program ever. I bought some tracklog mpas and the map data is the same but the program is knowhere near as good as MM.
I am getting lessons at the moment in planning sea kayaking trips and I think my laptop with MM amazed everyone that I showed it too, I have noticed that they have maptech marine charts on the MM site so I am going to have to save up and add some charts to my ever expanding map collection. I think I need a small lottery win to come my way to feed my addiction Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: