Now or later?
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Now or later?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Now or later? Reply with quote

Here's a question I'd really value peoples' opinions on:-

I'm finishing the work on a new cache placement. It's a multi - in suburban south Belfast - which focuses on a smallish nature reserve within a larger public park.

The intermediates derive their co-ords from interpretive boards and other information around the reserve - the idea being to "show off" this area, which few residents of the city even know exists. (Needless to say, the final cache itself is NOT within the managed reserve. Smile )

My point is: as with so many of these places, the area is not exactly showing its best at this time of year. Most of the wildlife is lying low, and none of the wild flowers or other notable plants for which it's managed, are in evidence. On the surface, it's just a rather untidy urban woodland with bare trees, and a bit of a muddy bog in the middle...

Should I release this cache now, or wait until Spring when the setting looks a little less crap? Question

-Wlw
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at some stage in it's lifetime it's going to look exactly as it is just now (unless you archive the cache over winter), maybe people will take into consideration that the place is not at it's best just now (where is?) and come and visit it later when it's much more scenic. Probably a glowing cache page extolling the area's natual beauty will draw their interest!
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it looks better in the spring then leave it until then, thus giving your first finders the true beauty of the place, then after that, it's just as Bob has said.
RonnieH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern about leaving it to the spring and your comment about all the wildlife lying low is that, then, the wildlife you are on about are building nests, mating or rearing young.
People rooting about are bound to have some effect by disturbing feeding parents or scattering immature offspring.
Only my tuppence worth!
ghiribizzo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused but the majority of caches are left in place all year round.
Billy Twigger
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These infernal multicaches, (where you don't know if your going to be able to get the co-ordinates until you've gone to the effort of getting there Mad ) need to be very high on the "consolation" score! So I would tend to say wait until there is lots to see.

I tend to let my caches mature before posting. This has the benefit of allowing me to test them and check that they are still there several weeks after placing. One of my geo-refusnik friends goes out and "finds" them for me, but she's not as keen as that FlyFisherman person, so the cache can sit for a fair few weeks before it gets it's licence.

The downside is that someone else can come along and place one while your backs turned. Now what are the chances of that happening? Evil or Very Mad
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonnieH wrote:
My concern about leaving it to the spring and your comment about all the wildlife lying low is that, then, the wildlife you are on about are building nests, mating or rearing young.
People rooting about are bound to have some effect by disturbing feeding parents or scattering immature offspring.
Only my tuppence worth!

Quite right - but there shouldn't be any "rooting about" going on.

As mentioned in the OP, the clues are gathered by reading information from display boards (which are all along the paths and walkways) while the cache itself is outside the designated conservation area.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

-Wlw.
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Twigger wrote:
The downside is that someone else can come along and place one while your backs turned. Now what are the chances of that happening? Evil or Very Mad

There's always a chance of that happening, as there is for any of us when planning a cache.

But I've got permission to place in the park - and it wasn't easy to get: there are three different LG agencies to deal with, their staff are constantly changing, and contacts are difficult to maintain.

It took three month's work to get the original permission, and frankly I doubt if anyone else locally would go to that amount of trouble.

Of course, there's always the possibility of a cache appearing without permission, (this has happened before, in that park) - in which case, it'll have to be archived and removed. Twisted Evil

-Wlw.
The Quiet Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is evident that you have spent quite a lot of time and effort into
putting this cache together.

I feel the nature (no pun intended) Smile of the cache and location is
something you have a strong interest in, and perhaps this is why
you wish to wait until the spring so the location and cache can be
better appreciated.

My own feeling would be to let it fly now.I would be one of those
people that enjoy winter walks on cold crispy days in parks or
woods and rather enjoy the idea of in the course of the walk collecting
clues and info in order to find the cache.

You will always have people looking for the cache anyway, regardless
of the season. Alternatively what you could do is make it an all year
round cache but not to release it till this Spring,when all is in bloom ,
and on the cache page you could have pictures of the area as is now
and pictures of it during Spring and Summer, that way people will make
their own mind up as to when they might like to find it.

Is that any help????
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time later...

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I've decided to go ahead and release the cache, which is GCRYMN - The Way That I Went.

The setting still appears a bit untidy, but it's not half as scruffy-looking as the new list of "additional waypoints" on the cache page. Sad

Ah well. March on, Progress...

-Wlw
wuthered
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up assuming that Robert Lloyd Praeger was a close personal friend of my father. It was not until I was older that I realised that the frequent quotes of 'Praeger said' and 'Praeger did' referred to a large blue-backed book that sat on our bookshelf. 'The Way That I Went' was my father's inspiration and companion during his youth, at least when it came to exploring Ireland. It still sits on our bookshelf.

Coincidentally I walked up past Lester's Dam only last Friday. Might have to go back next Friday.
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just possible that Mike's father could have met RLP, or at least heard him speak. As well as his many scientific accomplishments, Praeger was a keen gardener and an expert plantsman. After retirement, he gave many talks to horticultural, historical, and scientific societies, up and down the country.

It's pleasant to imagine such a meeting. Both in their own ways were remarkable men, and both had a depth of knowledge and width of interests far beyond their own academic fields.

They'd have had no difficulty in finding subjects to talk about.

-Wlw

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: