Annual UK Mega Event Committee, requests for 2013 & 2014
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Annual UK Mega Event Committee, requests for 2013 & 2014

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deceangi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Annual UK Mega Event Committee, requests for 2013 & 2014 Reply with quote

The Request Period for the UK Annual Mega Event Account for 2013 and 2014 is now Open, and will close on the 30th November 2011 at 24:00hrs.

If more than one request is made for the account for either year, a Tender Process will apply

Requests for the Account for 2013 can be made at
http://ukmecsh.forumup.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=5&mforum=ukmecsh&sid33433511a8141dd3dba9b08080d7993b

Requests for the Account for 2014 can be made at
http://ukmecsh.forumup.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=6&mforum=ukmecsh&sid=33433511a8141dd3dba9b08080d7993b

The Tender Format can be found at
http://ukmecsh.forumup.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=41&mforum=ukmecsh

The UK Annual Mega was created by the 2008 Harrogate Mega Committee as a Legacy Account, which would be handed on to a New Committee each year.

The Holder in 2009 was the Weston super mare Committee. In 2010 the Holder was the Perth Committee. In 2011 the Holder was the Swansea Committee.

The 2011 Swansea Committee found themselves in a position of having 2 seperate committee's request the account. A one off adhoc Stake Holder Committee comprising of Committee Members from All Holding Committee's was formed, and the 2 Requesting Committee's Chairmen, were requested to submit a Tender Document in a specified format (This Format will be used if more than one Committee requests the account for 2013 or 2014). This one off adhoc Stake Holder Committee, then took a vote after considering the two tender documents.

The Account being awarded to the North West England Mega Committee.

At the same time a permanent Annual UK Mega Event Account Stake Holders Committee was formed. Comprising of the Chairman or their Nominated Person from all Holding Committee's, With the Chairman or their Nominated Person joining the Committee from that years current Holding Committee.

Deceangi
On behalf of Annual UK Mega Event Account Stake Holders Committee
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me dim, but aren't the Ayrshire cachers already planning to hold a Mega in 2014?

And none of Deci's links "work" in that you need a login and password.....?
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighlandNick wrote:
Call me dim

Hi there dim,

1) The reason for the post is to give everyone an oppertunity to formally say they want to do it so that the best proposal can be chosen rather than whoever puts their hand up first.

2) yes you are correct in that you need to register on the forum to see the info and make posts. It only takes a couple of mins max to do this and if you are thinking about holding a mega then its only a small step to take.

Last edited by Big Wolf on Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Wolf wrote:
HighlandNick wrote:
Call me dim

Hi there dim,

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Wolf wrote:
HighlandNick wrote:
Call me dim

1) The reason for the post is to give everyone an oppertunity to formally say they want to do it so that the best proposal can be chosen rather than whoever puts their hand up first.

But why bother making a proposal at all. Can't anyone run a Mega if they feel like it? In that case, one doesn't have to apply to the Ad Hoc Stakeholder Committee. (Did I get that name right? Shocked Shocked Shocked )
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted duplicate.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't been following the going's on with regards to the 2* Mega's next year, then you may not realise why it should continue to go through a process for who wishes to have the account.

It's too political to voice on an open forum your personal views about the going's on, so I won't.

*Yes, I know there are 3 planned Mega's for next year, but Piratemania are not part of the equation as I believe they wish to stay as an independant event?
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all sounds too complicated to me. What should be simpler - advertise an event as a "possible" Mega then hope more than 500 folk turn up. Call me dim (again), but isn't caching supposed to be a game? Sounds like I'm better off without the grief/politics/committee men/naysayers.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighlandNick wrote:
It all sounds too complicated to me. What should be simpler - advertise an event as a "possible" Mega then hope more than 500 folk turn up. Call me dim (again), but isn't caching supposed to be a game? Sounds like I'm better off without the grief/politics/committee men/naysayers.

I'm with you on this. I am glad that I am blissfully unaware of any wranglings. Life is too short.
Jack Aubrey
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Call me dim (again), but isn't caching supposed to be a game? Sounds like I'm better off without the grief/politics/committee men/naysayers.

Hi There Dim (Again)

Of course you are right. It is just a game (thank heavens). What could be a purer (ie completely silly) game than finding tupperware in the woods? Having spent a working life doing bureaucracy, politics etc, the great attraction of caching is that it is just a daft pastime..... Until the bureaucracy/politics etc rolls in....

But it's not just a caching thing. it appears that almost any game can get turned into a bureaucratic/political exercise....

http://www.etwa.org/ and
http://www.tiddlywinks.org/

Aaaagh!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Jack Aubrey
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post deleted.

Erm... Can we form a committee to stop these duplicates happening?

Or, even better, can we establish two or more camps who think it's somebody else's fault that duplcates appear at all....? Wink
Jack Aubrey
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On more mature reflection, I think that both Nick and I should be disqualified from further comment.

It is a sad fact that almost any sport, game or pastime can be overtaken by the inexhorable human drive to politicise almost anything.

But in my experience only one game - climbing - has dared to define its self- imposed rules as grandiloquently as "ethics". Mere committee behaviour and just all-round silliness can't hold a candle against claims to define moral rectitude (and in the vertical plane only).

So as a self-confessed climber, I shall stick rigidly to rhetoric (maybe di-versifying into poetics [sorry, that was just a trope Wink] from here on in.....
Deceangi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've had a lot of things going on outside of geocaching, that has been taking up a lot of my energy

Ok to explain, anyone interested can attempt to organise a Mega Event. By attempt I mean they organise a event and then have 2 choices

Apply for Mega Status after the event has taken place, exactly what happened with Piratemania this year.

or they can try to persuade Groundspeak to award Mega Status before the event takes place. But this usually means waiting until after the event has been published. That means 6 months before the event takes place. That is the situation geolimpix is in.

Then there is another route, having already obtained Mega Status, the Organiser can then apply to Groundspeak for Mega Status for the following year, due to already having Mega Status once. Groundspeak will generally award Mega status to next years event.

Now that unlocks the system block on publication no more than 6 months before the event takes place. And instead replaces it with a 12 month block.

The Annual UK Mega Event Account, due to the previous history of Mega Events, means for the Holding Committee, that they only have to prove to Groundspeak that their plans are suitable. Groundspeak having already had proof that the Events the Account organises go Mega. Will then change the Status of the Event to Mega, Pre-publication.

So the event becomes Automatically Publishable 12 months before the event takes place.

The Annual UK Mega Event Account, was created as a Legacy Account to be handed on each year to a New Committee. Up to 2011, there had been only one Committee wishing the account for the following year.

The 20011 Swansea Committee, found themselves in the position of having The North West England Committee, and also the geolimpix committee request the account. Due to the virtually automatic Mega Status that comes with the account.

As the Swansea Committee was unable to reach a decision on who to Hand the account over to. I to resolve the issue, pulled together the Members of all the previous Holding Committee's (Harrogate,Weston,Perth & Swansea) into a one off Adhoc Committee to award the account for 2012, the decision being to award it to the NW Committee. And at the same time The Chairman or Nominated Person on their behalf formed a permanent Stakeholder Committee, each year the current Holding Committee Chairman or Nominated Person to join that Stakeholder Committee.

So we move forward to this years request period. Which was open for 2013 & 2014. The aim being to give each successful Committee, a 2 year minimum run in period after 2013.

The results of the request period were as follows

For 2013 the successful Committee was The West Midlands Mega Committee

For 2014 the successful Committee was the Ayrshire Homecoming 2014 Mega Committee.

This means that both Committees know immediately that subject to Groundspeak approving their plans, their events will be awarded Mega Status in the run up to the 12 month lead in period. When they final submit their event pages to Groundspeak for Mega Status.

That means a huge worry is taken off each Committee, as they know they are working under the confirmed Mega Status umbrella. So they can Fund Raise as a Mega Event Committee, and not as a Possible Mega Event Committee.

Piratemania has taken a number of years to grow into a Mega Event, finally achieving it this year. Mega status opens up the window to cachers from other Countries, as it's promoted in Groundspeak's weekly news letter

Deci
Deceangi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've had a lot of things going on outside of geocaching, that has been taking up a lot of my energy

Ok to explain, anyone interested can attempt to organise a Mega Event. By attempt I mean they organise a event and then have 2 choices

Apply for Mega Status after the event has taken place, exactly what happened with Piratemania this year.

or they can try to persuade Groundspeak to award Mega Status before the event takes place. But this usually means waiting until after the event has been published. That means 6 months before the event takes place. That is the situation geolimpix is in.

Then there is another route, having already obtained Mega Status, the Organiser can then apply to Groundspeak for Mega Status for the following year, due to already having Mega Status once. Groundspeak will generally award Mega status to next years event.

Now that unlocks the system block on publication no more than 6 months before the event takes place. And instead replaces it with a 12 month block.

The Annual UK Mega Event Account, due to the previous history of Mega Events, means for the Holding Committee, that they only have to prove to Groundspeak that their plans are suitable. Groundspeak having already had proof that the Events the Account organises go Mega. Will then change the Status of the Event to Mega, Pre-publication.

So the event becomes Automatically Publishable 12 months before the event takes place.

The Annual UK Mega Event Account, was created as a Legacy Account to be handed on each year to a New Committee. Up to 2011, there had been only one Committee wishing the account for the following year.

The 20011 Swansea Committee, found themselves in the position of having The North West England Committee, and also the geolimpix committee request the account. Due to the virtually automatic Mega Status that comes with the account.

As the Swansea Committee was unable to reach a decision on who to Hand the account over to. I to resolve the issue, pulled together the Members of all the previous Holding Committee's (Harrogate,Weston,Perth & Swansea) into a one off Adhoc Committee to award the account for 2012, the decision being to award it to the NW Committee. And at the same time The Chairman or Nominated Person on their behalf formed a permanent Stakeholder Committee, each year the current Holding Committee Chairman or Nominated Person to join that Stakeholder Committee.

So we move forward to this years request period. Which was open for 2013 & 2014. The aim being to give each successful Committee, a 2 year minimum run in period after 2013.

The results of the request period were as follows

For 2013 the successful Committee was The West Midlands Mega Committee

For 2014 the successful Committee was the Ayrshire Homecoming 2014 Mega Committee.

This means that both Committees know immediately that subject to Groundspeak approving their plans, their events will be awarded Mega Status in the run up to the 12 month lead in period. When they final submit their event pages to Groundspeak for Mega Status.

That means a huge worry is taken off each Committee, as they know they are working under the confirmed Mega Status umbrella. So they can Fund Raise as a Mega Event Committee, and not as a Possible Mega Event Committee.

Piratemania has taken a number of years to grow into a Mega Event, finally achieving it this year. Mega status opens up the window to cachers from other Countries, as it's promoted in Groundspeak's weekly news letter

Deci

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: