dry stone walls or walls of any description
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

dry stone walls or walls of any description

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drifter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: dry stone walls or walls of any description Reply with quote

Am I correct in saying that you are "not allowed" to place caches in walls? If this rule exists, when did it start and what happens to all the caches already in walls and why are new caches still being published that involve walls?
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not allowed to place caches in Dry Stone Walls as this usually involves moving the stones and therefore other cachers are likely to do the same while looking for the cache and thereby causing potential damage to the wall, the rule has been in vogue for several years and I've fallen foul of it myself when I first started caching.
See the entry of 22/9/05 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=564871e1-31a9-43f3-89ae-576aff124b61&log=y&decrypt= for this
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: dry stone walls or walls of any description Reply with quote

drifter wrote:
Am I correct in saying that you are "not allowed" to place caches in walls? If this rule exists, when did it start and what happens to all the caches already in walls and why are new caches still being published that involve walls?

If you are unhappy with the location of a cache for such a reason that you have posted, then you are invited to contact:
a) the cache owner and
b) a Reviewer

pointing out any issues you have noticed.

Scotsbob is correct in saying that this rule exists and has done for many years.

If a cache is published with the box in a dry stone wall, it can only be done so if:
a) the reviewer doesn't know it's in a wall of this type (in which case inform the reviewer who published it) OR
b) the cache owner has established that the wall has no significance and has discussed this with the reviewer and land owner and it has been published in the full knowledge of this???
drifter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighlandNick wrote:

Quote:
If you are unhappy with the location of a cache for such a reason that you have posted, then you are invited to contact:
a) the cache owner and
b) a Reviewer

I am not really comfortable telling another cacher how or where to place their caches and I don't think I would like to clipe to a reviewer either. It seems to me that the reviewer should ensure that the cache is not placed where it might cause damage to someone's property.
I notice that the cacher is "responsible" for his cache. Does this mean that he is responsible for damage caused by other cachers. Does the reviewer share that responsibility. Would Groundspeak release personal information regarding the cache owner to anyone making a claim? In fact would Groundspeak also share responsibility for any claim?
I did make the suggestion that cache applications should be accompanied by a photo of the cache area which would allow the reviewer to make a better judgement as to the suitability of the site.
The cache in Poolewe is a good example of this and although it is now archived the damage has been done. This particular example is not even a dry stone wall.
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems strange that you are happy to discuss caches on this forum that you consider are problematical but are unwilling to take up the matter with either a reviewer or the cache owner.
Either you wish to make a point or you don't!

And the issue with a cache in Poolewe?

As reviewers don't personally visit caches, how are they supposed to "ensure that the cache is not placed where it might cause damage to someones property"? That is the cache placers responsibility (up to a point) and to take due regard of guidelines for placements ie walls.
Even then, if the placer has been sensible and has followed protocol, I don't see how the cache owner can themselves be responsible for any damage caused. Or even that Groundspeak can take responsibility - they are only a listing service.

Perhaps I'm not that clever. Sorry.
Just my personal opinion.
Deceangi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I catch a huge number of caches being submitted in Dry Stone Dykes just from a few words in the cache description or hint.

As for requiring a photograph, do you really believe that this will stop those who intend to ignore the Local Rule (which so happens has been in place since 2002).

Also when a cache is reported to me to be in a Dry Stone Dyke, I will not hesitate to immediately Disable it giving the Cache Owner 7 days in which to relocate it. After which failure to act results in the cache being Archived.

It might interest you to note, that the only cacher I've ever had argue that a Dry Stone Dyke is a appropriate location for a cache. Was a experienced Scottish cacher!

I've had a few cases where the cache owner on being queried about the location of the container pre-publication, who have come back stating that it was not in a Dry Stone Dyke. In all such cases, when a finder has confirmed to me that it was, I've immediately Archived and Locked the cache page. I don't treat being lied to or risks to our hobby lightly.

All responsibility and Liability for a cache is the Cache Owners. Groundspeak and the Reviewers as their representative are not Liable in any way, that is made clear in the TOU and Disclaimer on every cache page.

But and this is important, in every case of a Landowner Complaint where I'm given contact details. I personally contact that Landowner to apologise on behalf of the UK Geocaching Community.

And I'm sorry but if your not prepared to contact a cache owner or Reviewer about cache issues. Why are you even discussing the issue on here? As your aware of issues and are not doing anything about them, your in affect ignoring them, so aiding the Cache Owner to ignore the very issue your moaning about!

Strong Words yes, but having personally seen the damage that Geocachers do to Dry Stone Dykes on more than one occasion. It's not a issue I take lightly.

When I became a Reviewer, I took the time to contact a Master Dry Stone Waller (it takes a seven year apprenticeship to become one) and made some enquiries as to costs to repair a Dry Stone Dyke. He quoted the following

Anything between £150-250 per square metre. To repair a damaged section of a Dry Stone Dyke, involves deconstruction the wall in a V shape on either side of the damaged section. So that the repair can be tied to the rest of the wall. So a damaged section 1m wide will result in over 4 metres of wall being deconstruction. You work out the sq metres of wall that involves and the cost involved.

So no I do not and neither do my colleagues take the issue lightly

And neither will we publish a cache in such a location, even when a Landowner has given permission for the cache location. As they don't even realise the sort of damage which will result!

Deci

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: