Changing cache co-ords!!
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Changing cache co-ords!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Changing cache co-ords!! Reply with quote

I don't wish to go into the rights and wrongs of how caches are reviewed or how the reviewers do their jobs. I do feel that people should be aware of what appears to be another new rule which has been implemented.

I changed the co-ords the other day for Athens of the North. A cache which would have been 8 years old in 3 days time and has had 863 finds. This cache was one of my earliest finds and I adopted it a while back.

After changing the co-ords, a reviewer disabled it and also sent me an email stating that due to the co-ords being changed it's new location was being checked to ensure that it continues to comply with the current listing guidelines.

It turns out the cache is placed in an SSSI. Which means proof has now to be given that it has permission. Never mind that for the last 8 years it's been in an SSSI and never been a problem. Well it turns out cache placement was a lot more relaxed back then. So myself and the original owner has decided that the cache has had to go.

So the moral of the story is - think hard before you relocate your caches, as you are being watched! Sad
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the "new rule" that has been implemented?

If it is the case that a cache is in a SSSI, then the original owner would have checked this and found out that it was OK when placed?
Was permission originally sought and obtained?

I also think that cache placements in the "good old days" were much more relaxed and that reviewers didn't have access to mapping software like Magic at the time - IMHO its only right that caches in areas such as SSSI's should be deemed not acceptable unless explicit permission has been obtained.

However, I don't see reviewers going over all the back catalogue of caches to see where they are placed - I think they have enough to do already!
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that it was placed in the manner of many an early cache. A manner which I know I have been guilty of and I suspect many others are to.

I'm not saying that a cache being re-reviewed is right or wrong, I am only highlighting what now happens when you move the co-ords to a cache.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighlandNick wrote:

Caches never used to get re-reviewed when you moved co-ords. Otherwise the issue with Athens of the North would have been highlighted with the previous move I had made.
Alba15

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggis Hunter wrote:
HighlandNick wrote:

Caches never used to get re-reviewed when you moved co-ords. Otherwise the issue with Athens of the North would have been highlighted with the previous move I had made.

When your cache was moved back in 2008, it was looked at again, but the review team didn't have MAGIC to double check placements. All change of co-ord notices that the team get are double checked for the same issues as a newly placed cache.
allieballie
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the issue not be solved if you got in touch with whoever manages the land - I'm assuming Edinburgh Council? - to get permission? Might even be able to do it through the Ranger service with whom, if I remember rightly, you have good contacts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: