Distance to nearest cache
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Distance to nearest cache

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheeseboy24

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Distance to nearest cache Reply with quote

Just curious - The nearest cache from my home location is only 4 / 5 miles. and new local ones pop up every now and then. I am only on 180 caches. Given that there are some cachers on 4000/5000 - I wondered how far away are others nearest caches?? Do extreme cachers travel great distances to get to their nearest cache??
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an ever widening circle until someone sticks a new cache out then the circle starts again
Original A1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a combination of things. For me, my nearest cache is within 1/4 a mile of my front door, but then I live in the big smoke.

However, after finding the first handful, I deliberately tried to cache outwith Edinburgh where possible so's I "saved" some for a rainy day (i.e., such occasions where the car mightn't be available, or I fancied some on foot/bike, etc.). You don't get to see my smilie map, but despite my best intentions, I've cleared about half of Edinburgh in 16 months regardless.

There's certain areas to which I (and I'm sure everyone else) love to head, and planning a trip such as one down to a specific cache in Cumbria ("Round Turn & Two Half Hitches Pass (Cumbria)" - GC6DAE) last May meant that I took a heap of other cache details with me so's I could attempt some of them en route. The day took a long time, particularly as the aforementioned cache involves driving up the joint steepest road in the country and I was advised was best approaching from the West. And all in all, I covered over 300 miles and got I think 27 caches.

That however is nothing compared with some much more prolific cachers. A couple of cachers I know recently got 104/105 in about 16 hours on the road. Hunting in a pair made it easier as one drove and one leapt out, and they did it for fun to see whether they could. Others regularly hunt in pairs or in groups and perhaps exceed this number. And as you play more of this game, you'll start to find that any journey at all starts your mind thinking "now are there any caches along this route that I haven't found yet?". Or is that just me?

It's not about the numbers of course (aye - right!).

Happy hunting.

Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: