GPS screen scratch removal?
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

GPS screen scratch removal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenygianty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: GPS screen scratch removal? Reply with quote

Looks like I've got an annoyingly small scratch on the screen of my trusy Geko 201 GPS. Not worried about the ones on the gps body itself as those add character, however does anyone know of any scratch removal techniques for a gps screen?

(I'd probably try any techniques out on my badly scratched cheap geocaching wrist watch which has got quite a few scratches on the face due to geocaching unhiding! Laughing )

thanks in advance
shampog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toothpaste then either brasso or T-cut car polish.... Take care not to press too hard ot you will cloud the area you are rubbing.

Best thing, if you can get it, is jewlers rouge which is very very fine grinding paste, like a shoe polish version of brasso/T-cut.... Wink
mousey1403

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a decent car valeters will have grinding paste, it will do the same job. I've seen scratches rubbed out of lcd radio displays with it, works a treat.
greenygianty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the lcd screen is looking a lot better now!

I dissasembled the geko 201, pop out the plastic front screen which was scratched, polish it up with the dremel + polishing paste, glue the front screen back in, then reassemble! Very Happy (I was curios to see what was inside the gps. Not very much at all!)
Acronema

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very intereted to read this as I have often wondered what to do about scratch removal on these kinds of screens.

GG how did you get on getting into your geko in terms of any waterproof seals that needed to be broken. Do you think your unit is still as waterproof as it was from new? Also, in retrospect do you think you needed to disassemble before polishing out the scratch?

Lastly, on the subject of LCD screens - at least for some high end digital cameras, there are some excellent LCD screen scratch protectors out there - I can highly recommend the GGS LCD Screen Protector (type that in with your camera model into ebay - I suggest opting for a Hong Kong supplier rather than China, AmazonUSA also have them). If you still have the horrid plastic effort on the back of your Nikon dSLR then get one of these and you will be amazed - you even will forget you have it on it is so well made. For about a tenner you get covers for the main screen and camera top small screen.

Having written all of this, maybe I should have posted this last para under Photography?

Acronema
greenygianty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acronema, my geko 201 was prone to letting in water after being on my bike handlebars in 4 hours of rain last summer!
The unit is easy to get into, 6 torx T6 screws on the back, these screws go through the rubber edging into the front half of the case.

I did clean the rubber seal up before reassembly and a bit more glue around the edge of the front plastic screen, so I'll see if the GPS is rainproof again the next time I'm out in the rain.

It probably isn't required to disassemble the unit to polish out a scratch on the screen. However somewhat easier to polish the screen using a dremel if it isn't attached to a GPS at the time.

Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: