GSAK Help
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

GSAK Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cookster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: GSAK Help Reply with quote

I am trying to get my unfound caches across to memory map but can't seem to do it right. Does anyone know how?

Also...when I run a new PQ for caches I haven't yet found I assumed that when I imported it into my file on GSAK the caches that I had recently found would be removed. They caches I hve recently found still appear in my unfound folder???

I wish I had never embarked on trying to engage with technology as my head hurts with it all. Too much jargon Sad
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: GSAK Help Reply with quote

Cookster wrote:
I am trying to get my unfound caches across to memory map but can't seem to do it right. Does anyone know how?

Also...when I run a new PQ for caches I haven't yet found I assumed that when I imported it into my file on GSAK the caches that I had recently found would be removed. They caches I hve recently found still appear in my unfound folder???

I wish I had never embarked on trying to engage with technology as my head hurts with it all. Too much jargon Sad

First, Set a Filter.
Click on the Filter button in the toolbar, or go to Search Filter. (New window opens)
You probably want to limit the distance from the first cache in the database, so
Distance: Less than or equal to (say) 15 miles
Found Status: Untick Found
Available Status: Untick Archived and Temporarily Unavailable

Then you get the caches that fit the bill.....
These have to be exported. Go to File, Export and Memory-Map.
The .csv option is automatically selected. csv stands for Comma Separated Value and is a format Memory-Map understands.

For now, I am not going to suggest too many options in the GSAK MM new window, but I would suggest that you tick Yes for Child Waypoints, Include All Children and Show Label Names.
Set Waypoint Name option as %Name and Maximum characters as say 10.
Click Generate and save the file.

Now here's the bit that most folk get wrong.......
In Memory-Map, Select Overlay, the Import from the toolbar.
At the bottom of the new window that opens, you must change Files of Type from Memory-Map Overlay Files (*.mmo) to Memory-Map CSV Files (*.csv) and then navigate to the .csv you saved earlier from GSAK.

Click Open and the caches should appear!

As to your second point, if you want all your old Unfound caches removed, you have to Remove them first! Importing a new set of caches in a new PQ just adds to the ones you already have and updates them.
This is normal GSAK behaviour. Use the Filter as outlined above to temporaily select the ones you haven't found!
Cookster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick, thanks for that.

I followed the instructions specifically however when I save the filtered file it does not tell me where it goes. Therefore when I am in MM and go to import and then change file type to CSV I don't know where to find the filtered folder I just generated.

Do I have to find the GSAK program files??

Thanks
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookster wrote:
Hi Nick, thanks for that.

I followed the instructions specifically however when I save the filtered file it does not tell me where it goes. Therefore when I am in MM and go to import and then change file type to CSV I don't know where to find the filtered folder I just generated.

Do I have to find the GSAK program files??

Thanks

Like any Windows file Save command, you choose the file name and where it gets saved on your PC. you do this in the very topmost box in the Export window. If you have given it a name, then you can Search for it on your PC! But you need to know the name before you close the box with the Generate button!

However, do this...

In the File Name to Create box, there is a small icon right at the right hand end - a small folder with an arrow. Click on this. Another window opens which is the standard Windows Save dialog.
Browse to where you want to save the file - I suggest you click on the Look In box and choose Desktop. In the File Name box, type a name for your file - such as My Unfounds Export. When you click on Open, this path appears in the GSAK File Name to Create box. Now click on Generate and you will know where it is and its name!
Cookster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's it sorted now. I get frustrated when caching programs come with very little instruction.

I just didn't know how to save the file but your instructions are spot on. Thanks very much.

Very Happy
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely not a techy person, but such written instructions make it sound much more difficult than it is. Once you have become used to the procedures, you will find it very easy. I can recommend downloading Big Wolf's macro which then shows up the caches on memory map as differnt icons (t[like the ones on google maps) so you know whether they are traditionals, puzzles etc.

But you can save that lesson for a later day....not sure I still know where the link to it is anyway, but I'm sure someone else will!
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firth of Forth wrote:
I'm definitely not a techy person, but such written instructions make it sound much more difficult than it is. Once you have become used to the procedures, you will find it very easy. I can recommend downloading Big Wolf's macro which then shows up the caches on memory map as differnt icons (t[like the ones on google maps) so you know whether they are traditionals, puzzles etc.

But you can save that lesson for a later day....not sure I still know where the link to it is anyway, but I'm sure someone else will!

It's actually an Edgemaster script (IIRC) which came about from work done by Roolku and icons put together by LordElph and had a guide by BCNorwich...all ably packaged up now by BigWolf - what that man doesn't know isn't worth knowing.....Get it HERE

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: