Could you go back?
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Could you go back?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Could you go back? Reply with quote

I'm sure that this topic was discussed on the gc.com forums, ages ago, but I can't find it - which is ironical enough...

Could you re-visit a cache which you found before - WITHOUT using your GPSr (at all) on the return?

I was boasting to Wuthered the other day, that I could do this very thing - for any of the 200+ caches that I have logged. He seemed sceptical (as usual when I say anything), so...

Could YOU do this?

-Wlw.
Naefearjustbeer
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I could do that, I dont have quite so many to revisit though. My finds have been spread out over a few years though!
wuthered
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think The King of Mourne might be a problem for Wlw, especially as he doesn't remember the first time he was there.
the windsockers
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i could remember most of them but some that i have done i'll never forget Very Happy Very Happy
As for WlW's memory i tested it the other day and it was fine Razz
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the caches that have been moved slightly?

Except for caches that have moved location slightly I know the exact location of every cache in Edinburgh. Firth of Forth's Aberlady Bay cache may be a difficult one to get back to without GPS.

To be honest I don't think I would be able to find all of them, the vast majority I would though.

Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them perhaps, but certainly not all of them!! The ones I would have difficulty with are those that I did with other people, as I won't necessarily have the visual memory of the entire search process.
Billy Twigger
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No chance!

One or two mayby, but I have trouble enough finding them first time! Confused

What I can do (like everyone I guess) is recognise immediately a location if it appears on TV or in a magazine.

For example the new Lena Martell DVD features HHs Ratho cache location!Thumbsup Loads of other Edinburgh locations too - but as I say - I need to find them first time round first! Rolling Eyes
allieballie
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think I could give it a good go - unless, like FoF said, it happened to be one where I had been out caching with other people and they had found it rather than me. e.g. I have no idea where any of the Bute ones that we did on the Sunday morning walk are - they were all found long before us stragglers at the back arrived on the scene!

Not long ago, I was passing the place where I'd found my first cache and decided to stop and go to the cache to see if it had a TB in it. Because it was a spur of the moment decision, I had no GPS, no cache page, no co-ords, no clue - I was sure I would remember where it was. However, when I got there I found that the whole area had been logged to devastation. The cache had been hidden next to a fallen tree trunk but there was no sign of any fallen tree trunks either. Stood there and scratched head etc. and kicked dead branches etc about for a minute or so - found cache!

Having said that, I forgot exactly which tree I had hidden one of my own at the other week when I took geoki there! So I am not saying that I could go immediately to the cache container at every one I've done, but I reckon I could go to the general location and find it at some point!
geoki
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allieballie wrote:
Yes, I think I could give it a good go - unless, like FoF said, it happened to be one where I had been out caching with other people and they had found it rather than me. e.g. I have no idea where any of the Bute ones that we did on the Sunday morning walk are - they were all found long before us stragglers at the back arrived on the scene!

Not long ago, I was passing the place where I'd found my first cache and decided to stop and go to the cache to see if it had a TB in it. Because it was a spur of the moment decision, I had no GPS, no cache page, no co-ords, no clue - I was sure I would remember where it was. However, when I got there I found that the whole area had been logged to devastation. The cache had been hidden next to a fallen tree trunk but there was no sign of any fallen tree trunks either. Stood there and scratched head etc. and kicked dead branches etc about for a minute or so - found cache!

Having said that, I forgot exactly which tree I had hidden one of my own at the other week when I took geoki there! So I am not saying that I could go immediately to the cache container at every one I've done, but I reckon I could go to the general location and find it at some point!

But you did redeem yourself by inviting me back to yours for a cuppa and to get changed into dry clothes for the trip home. Besides I wouldn't have missed the bizarre chat I had with the weeman, through the bathroom door as I was changing, about Doctor Who for anything!! Laughing
wuthered
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one that I wouldn't fancy my chances of finding without a GPS. It is off the beaten track and even with a GPS can be hard to find. But at least you would then be in the general area. I would challenge Wlw to go back to this one without GPS or hint. Should keep him out of trouble for an hour or so.
Billy Twigger
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuthered wrote:
This is one that I wouldn't fancy my chances of finding without a GPS. It is off the beaten track and even with a GPS can be hard to find.

pussycat took me two attempts -which supports my view that I find it hard enough even with my gpsr!

It did however, have the advantage of being "mirror" posted. Which meant that I got logging it twice. (Until it got sussed by the demi-gods and chopped off! Evil or Very Mad)
Billy Twigger
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allieballie wrote:

I went out to St Ninians point a few days ago to check on my What's the Point? cache. Left my GPSr in the Roller because I was so certain where it was. Couldn't find it at all! (It's like the surface of the moon out there at this time of year!)

Got back to the car, fired up my GPSr and went straight to it! Scary. Shocked
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bit of a walk there and back, bet you take the GPS with you in future?

Did you see my mate 'The Ass' when you went?

Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Twigger wrote:
pussycat took me two attempts -which supports my view that I find it hard enough even with my gpsr!

That'd be a toughie, no bout a doubt it.

Mike has picked this one because he knows that I haven't been there for more than a year - and presumably the whole area will look very different.

Nonetheless, I accept the challenge. Smile

We might do some maintenance on the cache, since the owner is long gone. Recent logs indicate that it needs some attention.

-Wlw.
wuthered
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mission accomplished. But it caused some head scratching. I accompanied Paul (not that we wouldn't trust him) and carried his GPS. After an inauspicious start where we were quite literally going in circles. I heard mutters from ahead of "it's the wrong forest", "where did all those fallen trees come from?", "there used to be a path here". But credit where it's due, in spite of some false searches several hundred metres in the wrong direction he emerged beaming from under a fallen tree with a very wet cache in his hand. There will be no putting up with him now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: