Hiding in the hole?
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Hiding in the hole?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Hiding in the hole? Reply with quote

I thought I'd give this idea a run here, before possibly raising on the GC.com forum at some future date...

One of the placement guidelines (it's the second on that list) states that caches should not be buried. Here's the relevant extract:-

* Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Not much doubt about that, is there?

I have an opportunity to hide a cache on an area of privately-owned land. Cachers would have access to the land, to search, but it is not in any sense a public place.

To effect a hide, the cache would have to be "buried" - to be exact, a space or void would need to be excavated, and a suitable rigid cover placed over to conceal the space. The landowner would have no objection to this being done. (In fact, I'm hoping he'll help.)

There are no environmental or other issues with having a hole in the ground at this site. If the "cover" is properly constructed and installed, there should be no safety issues, either. No "pointy things" would be needed to retrieve the cache.

What do you think about this idea? Is it worth pursuing? Has anyone seen something hidden like this (with permission) before, on their travels?

-Wlw.
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of 3 or four caches that have been just under ground level where a wee hole has been excavated and the cache put in it before covering it over with either Moss, twigs/leaves, large large flat stones etc

Clearly 'pointy things' were used to make the hollow for the ones i am thinking about so its been done before. one of them in particular was almost impossible to find and I in turn needed a 'pointy thing' to find it.

Think its more to do with what you put on top of the hole.

Alternatively, get your friend to dig the hole the day before then that way you would just be using an existing hole in the ground!
wuthered
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone seen something hidden like this (with permission)

Probably not with permission, but Phoenix must come very close to this. Delete this if you think it will spoil it for anyone.
Deego
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this post from one of the US approvers. http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=108990&view=findpost&p=1705233

They have listed them in the past (as long as you have permission) , but I would ensure that its stated clearly on the cache page, that it was hidden as it is (You don't have to give the game away by telling them that its buried) with permission. So any future finders don't think its “the norm” to bury things.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a problem. I will admit to having ocasionally finessed an existing cavity to the size required using a trowel that just happened to be in my rucksack. The important thing is that once hidden the cache can be found and extracted without recourse to digging implements of any kind.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it, I don't see a problem, found a couple that are a bit questionable myself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: