Cachemate (or similar) on mobile phones?
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Cachemate (or similar) on mobile phones?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavin4077

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Cachemate (or similar) on mobile phones? Reply with quote

I'm still playing around with my new phone (Sony/Eric K800i) and realise that it's probably just as powerful as my PDA!

Is there any mobile software (Java based perhaps?) which works in a similar way to Cachemate on a PDA?

I remember Scotsbob has something along these lines on his iPod so surely someone has developed it for a phone! Smile

I've tried a few Google searches but it doesn't bring anything up. Thought I would ask here before returning there..

Gavin
TheCheekyMonkeys

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gavin,

from what i've seen, most software for paperless caching runs on Palm, Pocket PC, Symbian and Blackberry.

I use Geocache Navigator ( www.geocachenavigator.com ) which runs nicely on my Nokia N95 either with internal GPS or my Holux 236.
I saw a nice program for Windows Mobile called GeoScout too.

You can check out Spot for the k800i ( http://www.skylab-mobilesystems.com/en/products/spot_k800i.html )
or this one http://vlkgps.bielyvlk.sk/

However from memory i dont think there is anything else for general java based phones like the k800i. Most applications run on one of the big operation systems like Symbian, Windows Mobile etc.

Cheers
Gus

Last edited by TheCheekyMonkeys on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of the phones capabilities but the following may be possible routes forward

1) If you can you use the phone browser to view files then you will be able to use GSAK to export the caches in HTML format and view the pages that way.

2) If not export the cache data in CSV format, then use Outlook (or what ever mail client you use) to import the CSV file into contacts, then sync the phone with contacts (this will depend on the size of the notes field on the phone to work)

3) can the phone view text files? if so use clyde's Ipod macro on the GSAK forum to export the cache data to txt files and copy to the phone.
Jacobite
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gavin, I've got a k800i and I've been trying different cache related tasks with it, but up to now I've not had much success.
I've tried to download gpx files from GC.com, then bluetooth them to my PDA for use in GPXsonar, but the phone doesn't support the GPX file format and changes it to some other format that PDA doesn't support.

Big Wolf seems to have some good suggestions, and I'll be giving them a try, I'll let you know how I get on.

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk
Gavin4077

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My contract (on 3) has a good data allowance, so I have been using the actual gc.com site to view the cache page when needed. Most features don't work, however its still possible to log in and search for a cache then view the cache page. It's not ideal but works ok. You can even view images as long as they're under 300kb (or thereabouts).

Big Wolf has made some interesting suggestions. Perhaps a GSAK macro could be written that exports each cache listing as a text file with the cache name as the filename. Then you'd just have to browse memory card files to find it?

If I get round to trying it I'll post the results either way Smile
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re GSAK, the macro you are referring to is fundamentally what my iPod one does. It would just take a couple of tweeks to make it do exactly what you want so let me know if you want me to do the necessary.
Gavin4077

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, I'd certainly like to try it out. Just checked and the Sony K800i is apparently capable of reading both text and even CSV (without columns).

Now, if only Clyde would port GSAK to Mac format... life would be good Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: