GSAK to TomTom export
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

GSAK to TomTom export

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: GSAK to TomTom export Reply with quote

Just to let all you TomTom fans know I have rewritten the export macro that creates different poi files for each cache type and it now produces a separate poi file for Micros and automatically creates all the bmp files as well.

You can download the macro from the gsak forum by clicking here

I realise this is not for everyone but all comments gratefully received. Please note that you need V7 of GSAK for this to run.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea what a poi file is....but Jack and I had our first go at using TomTom in Northern Ireland at the weekend, and I have to say that I am a complete convert to it...once I'd got the hang of it.

My only quibbles with it were when it tried to take us up a non-existent farm track to a cache, and later when it took us to a non-existent petrol station near the airport and then insisted we were going the wrong way despite the clear signs to the airport!
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POI is a Point Of Interest file. Basically its the way to copy over all your caches to the TT.

The macro will create the necessary files (and graphics) and all you have to do is copy them over to the device and place them into the map folder. Hey presto all your caches are now available to navigate to and you can also see them when you drive by.
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was looking at my tomtom one xl tonight and it said you can transfer documents to it, haven't quite got the hang of it yet but could be handy.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Wolf wrote:
POI is a Point Of Interest file. Basically its the way to copy over all your caches to the TT.

The macro will create the necessary files (and graphics) and all you have to do is copy them over to the device and place them into the map folder. Hey presto all your caches are now available to navigate to and you can also see them when you drive by.

OK! Thanks. Sounds like something we need to try to work out. Will get Jack onto it at the weekend as it's his gadget (needless to say!).
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re Scots Bob: on my Go device you copy the docs to \text folder. Cant find which formats are supported but .txt and .rtf appear to work.
Geo_Steve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great Smile

I'd never really used GSAK that much. I tried it out a few times and even managed to get the find stat generator macro working, but it all seemed so complicated, so it's been sitting on my hard drive mostly unused...until now.

After seeing this post I sat down last night and decided to give it another whirl. It took me a while but I now have all the caches I need transferred to my new TomTom and it works a treat!

Thanks for sharing... Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: