Contours v2 - tile selection
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Contours v2 - tile selection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Contours v2 - tile selection Reply with quote

I have previously used contours v2 successfully for some time. Recently I had to reinstall Mapsource - I then reinstalled the contour maps. When I select Contours V2 from the drop down list the overview map appears. When I select the map tile selector and click on oneon the tiles the whole map turns pink but only Names appears in the LH pane Map List.

If I zoom in on the map all the contours appear to be there.

I have checked that all *.img files are in the folder and checked, double checked and triple checked that the registry entry appears to be correct. I have uninstalled and deleted everything and then re-downloaded and re-installed Contours v2- but with the same effect.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?
dino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the map tiles is called Names and it covers all of the British Isles. That is the one you're selecting. If you can find it on the map list in the main folder I would delete it as it's more a nuisance when you already have a Mapsource file to reference.
tomox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Tile recognition and selection Reply with quote

Thanks. I located the names file ID from the SMC site and deleted it. Mapsource however will not run without it so I had to restore it. The problem I have is that wherever I click on the overview contours map the whole map turns pink but only the Names file shows in the left hand pane.
tomox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

By experimenting I discovered that if instead of clicking on individual tiles I held down the left mouse button and drew a box over the area I required, the names appeared in the left hand pane - I am now uploading them to my GPS60C. Hopefully this may assist others.
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums Tomox. Glad you got it sorted out.

If maps don't appear in the Mapsource preview window, the problem is ALWAYS with the installation - usually a duff path to the directories. For example, in the Windoze registry if the LOC element points correctly, but the TDB one is wrong (I've done this myself after a tiny typing error) then Mapsource will barf.

Following up on "optional" components...

These are the filenames concerned:-

14900001 UK Summits *
14900002 Irl Summits
14900003 UK Trigpoints *
14900004 Irl Trigpoints
14900005 Placenames

If the Contours V2 package is correctly installed, it should be possible to remove these files from the directory while preserving full function. However...

These files will still appear on the map database "Contours V2.TDB" unless that is rebuilt, which is for advanced students only. Nevertheless, normal operations with Mapsource and GPS units should still work properly.

-Wlw

( *- They're actually the coverage for GB, not UK. No political nonsense over this, please.)
tomox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that helpful response. I used the supplied *.reg file to amend the registry and the three 'pointers' appear to be correct when I have used regedit to check. If all isn't hunky dory at least it's working for me, so rather than tinker again I think I'll leave it as it stands for the timebeing. Thanks again.
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the Contours onto my Legend CX but when I installed the Mapsource files the contours disappeared, is there any way to get the 2 of them to work together?
dino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to transfer all the tiles at the same time as existing maps are deleted when you transfer new ones.

I found that out the hard way Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> SMC contour maps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: