another registry error
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

another registry error

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus Cameron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: another registry error Reply with quote

This is my first post to this forum, with a fix that might help anyone who might have a similar installation problem. I'm using WinXP, Mapsource 6.11.5 with MG Europe v7, Topo Canada v2.

Following Paul McMichael's installation guide I got the 'registry error, reinstall Mapsource" message.

After fixing the registry to get Mapsource working again I repeated the entire process from scratch. Still no luck with the supplied Contours V2.reg file.

I stumbled upon the directory at http://www.paulmac.force9.co.uk/geo/regs/
and found a different registry file for XP called contoursV2.reg (no space before V2) that fixes the installation problem
(note that the link on page 2 erroneously points to http://www.paulmac.force9.co.uk/geo/.\regs\contourreg98.reg)

There are two differences between the two files. First the name of the folder that's created in the registry, '131' instread of 'Contours V2'. Second, the version of the editor.

I can't say which one made the difference, but at least things work now.

Here are the two files:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\Contours V2]
"LOC"="C:\\program files\\garmin\\Contours v2\\"
"BMAP"="C:\\program files\\garmin\\Contours v2\\Contours V2.img"
"TDB"="C:\\program files\\garmin\\Contours v2\\Contours V2.tdb"

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\131]
"BMap"="c:\\program files\\Garmin\\Contours V2\\Contours V2.img"
"Loc"="c:\\program files\\Garmin\\Contours V2\\"
"TDB"="c:\\program files\\Garmin\\Contours V2\\Contours V2.tdb"
Angus Cameron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Oops, please disregard my previous message, I screwed up Reply with quote

Although Mapsource seemed to be finally working properly last night, the dreaded registry problem reappeared today.

The problem occurred because I had 2 Garmin folders, one at C:\Garmin, the other at C:\Program Files\Garmin. The first is the default location used by the Mapsource installer and is the place where I put Contours V2. The second contained a single folder called 'contours' that contained the old version 1 from last April.

For some bizarre reason Mapsource was able for a while last night to find Contours V2 using a registry entry that was pointing to the wrong place and having the wrong name. I naturally thought it was fixed.

Today Mapsource once again realised its error and finally having a clear head after a good night's sleep so did I. It only took a minute with regedit to point mapsource to the proper folder.

Sorry about any confusion I may have caused. Am I permitted to pin a bit of it on Bill Gates?

Angus
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, please disregard my previous message, I screwed up Reply with quote

Angus Cameron wrote:
Sorry about any confusion I may have caused. Am I permitted to pin a bit of it on Bill Gates Angus

Hi Angus,

I was glad to read your follow-up because I'd been looking into the orginal query and was having trouble understanding it.

Yes, you can certainly pin the blame on Bill Gates and serve him right - but you can also put some of it onto Garmin, for the inconsistent and haphazard way that they structure these various releases and installations.

I would. Smile

-Wlw

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> SMC contour maps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: