Contours V2 on GPSMAP 76CSx
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Contours V2 on GPSMAP 76CSx

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurnerTech

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Contours V2 on GPSMAP 76CSx Reply with quote

I found the Contours Maps last night and immediately uploaded them to Mapsource with no problems.

On MapSource, everything looks great, even the POI searching works a treat.

I downloaded a couple of Lake District Tiles to my 76CSx and the contours look great, I even displayed them with a few of my saved "Tracks".

BUT (why is there always a but in a Posting?). None of the POI's (Summits and Trig Points) are showing on the GPS.

The example on Paul's Website shows these as separate tiles in the Mapsource Map selection, but I only see the Maps selected. As far as I can see all of the Essential files have unzipped into the right place and the POIs appear in Mapsource. Paul's examples are based on Version 1 (the 13000 series of tile numbers.

Am I missing something? Do I need to change a setting on the GPS? Or do I need to select something else in the MapSource Selection Transfer process.

Apart from this minor hiccup, these maps great, just what my GPS was waiting for.
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you load them (maps, contours, trigs and summits) all at the same time?
Or separately? Each upload to your GPS will overwrite the previous upload so you need to put them all in at the same time as one upload.
TurnerTech

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

Thanks for your reply. I only did one download to the GPS.

The problem, I think, is that although I can see the Summits and Trig Pints displayed in Map source, I cannot see any way to select them for downloading.

I click on the Contour maps to select them. In normal MapSource this automatically includes the POIs that fall within the map.

When collecting a set of data for a Transfer, how do I find/select the other overlays (POI's) to include them in the download?
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurnerTech wrote:
When collecting a set of data for a Transfer, how do I find/select the other overlays (POI's) to include them in the download?

With the map view zoomed well out, right-click and drag in the window to select the whole shooting match. This will include the Summit and Trig overlays.

-Wlw
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildlifewriter wrote:
With the map view zoomed well out, right-click and drag in the window to select the whole shooting match.

Indeed. I found this only with a bit of difficulty. The "boundaries" of each set are close together and quite a way out at sea (so to speak). It's a bit tricky making sure that you do in fact pick up / select all the sets at once - hence the need to zoom right out.
TurnerTech

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick and WLW,

Thank you for taking the time to help me on this.

I am about to take my lunch break, so I will give it a try.

Thanks again.

Roy
TurnerTech

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick & WLW,

Magic. I agree it is a bit tricky, but it has the virtue that it works.

In the end, I grabbed everything and then deleted all the maps I did not want. With all the Esentials, East & West Lakes and the City Navigator V8 for the Lakes area, it still only used about 4 MBytes

The Contours for the whole country only came in at 94 Mbytes. As my chip holds 128 MBytes and can be upgraded to 1 GBytes, this is pretty good use of space.

Thank you again. Now if I can work out how to get from Cambridge to Keswick............

Thanks again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> SMC contour maps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: