TV: Autumnwatch
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

TV: Autumnwatch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: TV: Autumnwatch Reply with quote

I have a gadget at home. It has a hundred uses, from discouraging cats who want to claw the furniture, to holding open the door of the broom cupboard when I'm getting my golf trolley out.

This useful article is the size, shape, colour and texture of standard 9" house brick, except it's made of foam rubber. I use it for when certain things appear on the telly, such as Strictly Come Dancing, or Ant & Dec. (Howay - were that a brick, mon?)

So you can imagine that the item was convenient to hand when the new series of Autumnwatch started last week on BBC2.

For those who don't know the concept, this is an October version of Springwatch - a nightly natural history show running over two weeks, and featuring live nature presentation - mostly off tape. Traditionally, Springwatch has been a shambolic outdoor-broadcast train wreck in the name of Entertainment That's Good For You. Scheduled to last a full hour, the first twenty minutes of each slot are taken up with telling us what's going to happen later in the programme - but more of that when we come back later on...

"The most mismatched couple on British TV" said Canary Wharf of its two lead presenters. There's endearing, unpredictable, slightly scruffy Bill Oddie, together with tousle-haired, unpredictable but endearing Kate Humble. No match there, then. These two fight and fidget their way through various close-up shots of tits (Blue, Great and Kate's) before handing over to another presenter at some spectacular and remote location where nothing ever happens. "I know it's hard to believe, but there really IS an otter in this picture." gasped scruffy but endearing Simon King over a blurred shot of some rocks and seaweed. There wasn't.

Last week, however, the rubber brick stayed on the coffee table because - strange to relate - Autumnwatch was really rather good. After a shaky start, where Oddie had forgotten to take his medication and behaved like something on wires and worked with steam, we were treated to an extraordinary set of sequences on grey seals from the Monarch Islands - which would be in Scotland if they weren't so far away from it. The quality of the camerawork was so good that it's a shoe-in for next years BAFTAs. Meanwhile on the Isle of Rhum, Simon King appeared looking like a red deer calf caught in the headlights. No, wait - it WAS a red deer caught in the headlights, and his coverage of rutting stags was the highlight of the whole show - though some parents might have wished that it was on after the nine o'clock watershed: "Mummy - what's that deer doing to that other one? Is it...cor!" As you can tell, fluffy squirrels while on the menu, couldn't compete with the haunting aroma of red deer. "It's a mixture of mud, water and urine..." giggled King, wading knee-deep into a pool of the stuff. And he gets paid for this. Imagine.

Back at WWT Martin Mere (I've been there lots of times - it's well worth a visit) Bill and Kate were still snuggled up on the sofa, trying to explain the enduring mystery of bird migration: "Well... it's a mystery." said Oddie, sorting out the whole subject for the viewers in one snappy sentence. No-one cared - and if the geese on the way from Iceland decided to stay in Iceland, all I can say is that they missed some excellent stuff on the telly. We can only hope that Winterwatch is already in the planning stage:

"... and now over to Benbecula in a snowstorm, where we've just heard that something is happening. What's happening, Simon...?"

-Wlw

Last edited by Wildlifewriter on Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: TV: Autumnwatch Reply with quote

Wildlifewriter wrote:
No, wait - it WAS a red deer caught in the headlights, and his coverage of rutting stags was the highlight of the whole show - though some parents might have wished that it was on after nine o'clock watershed: "Mummy - what's that deer doing to that other one? Is it...cor!"

Precisely what HayLin asked when she seen it, she's been running her own animal park with the Roar programme so we just quite simply said they where breeding. She thinks breeding is where the animals go to another park??
ghiribizzo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring back Terry Nutkin.
If Kate wants to go geocaching... Rolling Eyes
allieballie
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: TV: Autumnwatch Reply with quote

Haggis Hunter wrote:

Precisely what HayLin asked when she seen it, she's been running her own animal park with the Roar programme

How funny - 'cos wee man loves Roar too - in fact it's the only thing that gets him out of bed on a weekday morning: "Wake up, get up - Roar's on TV!"
TurnerTech

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Putting Pictures in a Post. Reply with quote

WLW,

Hi. Me again.

How did you put the photograph on the Autumn Watch thread?

I would like to post some Screen Images downloaded from my GPS. They can be stored as BMP or JPG formats.

Regards

Roy
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guide to including external graphics is to be found HERE, as are the tricks for doing other cool stuff on the forum interface.

Notes on use of images:

1) Try to keep sizes reasonable. Remember that some people are using dial-up - and waiting for a huge photograph of a field with one sheep in it to load, is a pain.

2) Images have to be hosted externally. We have no facility for on-forum picture hosting. (At the moment.)

-Wlw

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Birds and the Bees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: