Twelve months on
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Twelve months on

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gxadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Twelve months on Reply with quote

In the 1970s TV series "Kung Fu" the Shaolin Abbot, Master Poo, addresses his acolyte Kwai Chang Caine in these terms: "The hermit clab has only one shell, Grasshoppa, and you must learn from his example."

Caine keeps an inscrutable expression at this. He has already absorbed the first lesson in wisdom, which is: when the Boss starts talking absolute cobblers, it's best to say nothing.

Exiled to America, the young Caine character wanders about the Old West, contemplating on life, philosophy, the hermit clab, and whether he should hold out for half a mil if they decide to make a third series. Between times, he encounters various bullies, crooks and blowhards with monotonous regularity. A pacifist at heart, Caine tries various methods such as reason and logic to show these people the error of their ways, before eventually kicking seven sorts of s__t out of them which is what we've been waiting thirty-two minutes to see.

All of which has nothing to do with the fact that GeoX has now been running for a whole year.

In that twelvemonth, our forum has gone from strength to strength. With more than a hundred members, it has a higher percentage of those members regularly visiting and contributing than any other British Isles caching forum. But GeoX has never been just about geocaching.

We talk about everything, from tab-lock boxes to bringing up recalcitrant teenagers. (Always a favourite.) From photography to hillwalking to high-energy Physics, GeoX members get it out there. We discuss these things and even argue about them - but we don't fight. From the outset, an unusual and innvoative system was set up in order to handle disputes on GeoX. It has never been used.

To be sure: bullies, cranks and blowhards read GeoX from time to time - but they soon realise that it's no place for them. Those few we have encountered soon retreated back into their shells, never to reappear. The hermit clab has a lesson for them, too.

Everyone who has contributed to make GeoX what is is today should give themselves a pat on the back. Your expertise and experience in the hobby make GeoX influential far beyond the bounds of the forum itself, and your support will ensure that it continues in this form, into a future that even Master Poo himself could not guess at.

Well done.

-GxAdmin
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting until August 29th (the date when the first members signed up) to wish the forum a 'Happy Birthday'.

Wlw has found a much cleverer way of doing so, of course! He also had the foresight to hit upon a winning formula: no mods and no sock puppet accounts.

Long may it last. Beers Beers Beers
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations and well done, the site is always my first port of call after logging on just to see what's new.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee has it been a year, doesn't time fly when you are having fun?

Like Scotsbob after reading my email this is the first port of call. It really is pleasant being a member of a forum that the admin only get involved with when it's technical or an actual question towards them.

Well done Wlw for the innovation and to Nick for taking up the 2nd Admin position.
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggis Hunter wrote:
(snip) and to Nick for taking up the 2nd Admin position.

I've been really busy doing admin # 2as you will all have noticed....
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighlandNick wrote:
Haggis Hunter wrote:
(snip) and to Nick for taking up the 2nd Admin position.

I've been really busy doing admin # 2as you will all have noticed....

It's more the fact that there is someone there if needed!
Jack Aubrey
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you wlw

Thank you forum members

This is the first place I come, a regular tab on Firefox! I can get news. I can get views (even on stuff I don't understand, like Nick's new toy...) I can get Paul's new writing. Not much else I need - Sainsbury's for soup?

Soup-Free Jack
the windsockers
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still here lurking in the background Laughing
nice to see whats being happening will i wish the summer months away is it really a year already? Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site News & Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: