GoogleMail Downloads
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

GoogleMail Downloads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: GoogleMail Downloads Reply with quote

Everything has been going fine, until my PQ turned up in my new googlemail account. I have tried to download it, but it just won't go to a normal windows file, which is what I want.

I know how to move it straight into GSAK, but I like it in it's own folder so that I can run cachemate from it. So can someone tell me how I download ANY attachment to an ordinary folder please?
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this helps: but you can right click and 'Save Target As' and save a PQ into a Pocket Queries folder.

Last edited by Firth of Forth on Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By using tools then options I have managed to get my downloads to one windows file, which is where I want my PQ's to go.
It still won't allow me to send a file to a seperate folder unless I change my settings? Any advice?
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using GSAK and Googlemail to get your PQ's, then when GSAK downloads the PQ, you can tell GSAK where to save the PQ. Personally, I get GSAK to delete my PQ downloads for me - it does this by sending them to my Recycle bin.
For your purpose, use File > Get data by email > and then select the "leave on server". Also tell GSAK which folder to automatically save the PQ's in. Use "Folder to save attachements" and browse using the yellow folder icon to where you want to save the PQ files.

As I said, I get mine deleted, and Googlemail moves them from the Google Inbox into Archived mail for me.

I then use GSAK to filter and export to CacheMate. It looks like you use CacheMate separately to sort your PQ's?
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick

I think i will need to chew through that information. yes I do use cachemate seperately to sort out my PQ's.

I use CMconvert to get my PQ's into cachemate, I bet your going to say there is an easier way?
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggis Hunter wrote:

I use CMconvert to get my PQ's into cachemate, I bet your going to say there is an easier way?

CMConvert takes the .gpx files from the zipped PQ's and converts them to the CacheMate PDB format. (Note to others - HH uses a Palm PDA. This is different for PocketPC devices)

GSAK can do this for you too.

In GSAK, once you have filtered to get the caches you require, go to:
File > Export > CacheMate PDB file. Then load the generated file into CacheMate. This should do away with the need for CMConvert.

For PocketPC users, Export the file in .gpx format direct for CacheMate.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighlandNick wrote:
If you are using GSAK and Googlemail to get your PQ's, then when GSAK downloads the PQ, you can tell GSAK where to save the PQ. Personally, I get GSAK to delete my PQ downloads for me - it does this by sending them to my Recycle bin.
For your purpose, use File > Get data by email > and then select the "leave on server". Also tell GSAK which folder to automatically save the PQ's in. Use "Folder to save attachements" and browse using the yellow folder icon to where you want to save the PQ files.

I presume my username and password are those for my email address?
What do I put into the pop3 server?

As so far I am not being allowed to download what i want from my email address!
Team Ballibeg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=1555

Answer there.

Dave
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave that's worked. I'm now having a nightmare as it's downloading all the PQ's on my computer, so I deleted them now it won't download from my email. Which it appeared to do before??

At the moment this is annoying me, as I was happy the other way. I guess I probably need a full idiots guide on how it's done. Before I could manipulate what PQ's I wanted in GSAK I don't know how to do that now, or how to filter out the different things in GSAK? Banghead
Team Ballibeg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you do the getmail process in GSAK it breaks the job down into two stages.

1) Gsak firstly connects to your email service and downloads the PQ's.

2) ALL pq's in your chosen folder are loaded into GSAK. (not just the ones you have just downloaded.)

As I dont keep my PQ's I instruct GSAK to delete the files after thay have been loaded in.

As you are now using Googlemail you should be aware of its unique issues. There are some "quirks" with the pop3 access to these accounts that you should be aware of.

1. The delete option does not work
2. After downloading a message Google flags the message as being read and you can't pop3 the message again (from any email client) unless you go into your account settings and select the "Enable pop for all mail" again

Both these quirks apply to all email clients working with Google mail, not just GSAK

So in your specific case you have downloaded the PQ's and stored them in a folder. Everytime you run Getmail in GSAK the contents of this folder are loaded. Solutions are delete the pq's after loading them or move them to an alternative folder after loading them into GSAK.

As for not being able to download them again this is Googlemail. So go into your account options on Google (in web browser) and do as suggested above.

Dave
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has helped a lot, I now know to read my emails but leave my PQ's as unread. I have got POP set to new mail only. My first download, downloaded all of my emails Puzzled

I now need to know how to filter, but I think it's best if I now went over to the actual GSAK thread. I think I have everything sorted on this one now.

Thanks to all the help that has been given.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: