Exposed Caches
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Exposed Caches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrs Jacobite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Exposed Caches Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed an increase in the amount of caches that are left exposed lately? We have come across many in the past couple of weeks that simply are not camouflaged. I don't know if this is something that is becoming more frequent, or if we've only just noticed it because of our recent increase in cache hunting.
I wonder if some of these may be attributed to muggles finding the caches, determining that they are harmless (and not of high monetary worth), then just leaving them. What do you think?

Mrs Jacobite
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a few of my caches left out in the open, and it is really frustrating. If I find a cache that is exposed, unless the description says it's supposed to be like that, such as the Bolt cache, I will always hide it again properly. Without moving the caches' location, that's another thing that annoys me.
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Exposed Caches Reply with quote

Mrs Jacobite wrote:

I wonder if some of these may be attributed to muggles finding the caches, determining that they are harmless (and not of high monetary worth), then just leaving them. What do you think?

It's certainly happening more often - but I'm not sure that we can blame the unfortunate muggles for this, altogether.

Poorly-rehidden caches are similar to road traffic accidents, having much the same basic causes:- carelessness, thoughtlessness, laziness, and not forgetting plain old-fashioned stupidity.

But there's another aspect to this as well - and I must be careful here, having engaged in them myself from time to time...

Cache-dashes.

A feature of intensive caching is not only the extreme haste in finding each one, but also a sense of impatience to get on to the next location before time runs out.

I believe there is evidence that sometimes containers and camouflage are not replaced with due care, in these circumstances. This'll be a controversial view - and it's a difficult thing to prove, but I'm quite certain that this does happen.

-Wlw

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: