Review: Brasher "Mono" trekking
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Review: Brasher "Mono" trekking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Review: Brasher "Mono" trekking Reply with quote

Brasher "Mono" trekking pole
Various outlets: STG 30.00 or a bit less

It's an open secret that Wildlifewriter is no fan of modern hiking poles. So when this one arrived as a birthday present, there was little excitement and it languished in the cupboard under the stairs, where such things tend to end up.

That was until I broke my arm in two places, in June 2005. While recovering from this injury, I found some difficulty in walking over rough terrain and I bethought me of the odd-looking device I'd been given, as a possible help. Out it came...

Brasher make (or at least, supply) a range of trekking poles under their own brand name. Most of them are standard-looking articles, with grip handles and expanding tubes. And then there's this mysterious pole - the "Mono". It's made of lightweight alloy in three sections, with internal twist-locks. Above this, is a round handle in absorbent neoprene, and - finishing the whole thing off - a round cork sphere on top. Total weight is 290gm, which is about average for an alloy pole.

Many things puzzled me about this device, at first: Why "Mono"? Is it for single-pole use - if so, what would happen if you bought two of them? Nor could I understand the purpose of the bonkers-looking cork handle on top. Now presumably, most people who use trekking poles don't mind looking like twits, but this was carrying things a bit far.

I took it out for a walk... The instructions say that the lower section should be fully extended to a scribed mark, with length adjustments made on the middle section. Set up in this way, the pole displays some spectacular whip and bend, even under Wlw's twelve stone - although admittedly nothing terrible has ever happened to it.

The business end has a smallish tugsten-carbide tip. No rubber foot is supplied, and I refused to use it without one. Luckily, standard Leki buffers fit perfectly. (I suspect that other Leki acessories, such as wide baskets, would fit, too.)

The supplied strap is very comfortable, if used correctly. (Which most people don't.) It has a narrow section for passing under the palm, and the whole thing is adjustable - with some difficulty. It was while adjusting this strap, on the summit of Cnoc Lettermore, that I made an interesting little discovery - one which explained a whole lot of things in one go...

The top comes off. It unscrews. The screw it's secured to is a standard ¼-20 camera tripod fitting.

That explained the curious design, and the name of the stick. A very useful feature, this is - one which makes photography in exposed locations a lot easier, and (sometimes) saves me carrying my small tripod up steep hills.

So far the Brasher Mono has performed well, of its type. It is light, comfortable to handle, well balanced. Compared to some others on the market, its colour and graphics are reasonably subdued and "grown up".

I still don't really like hiking poles - but this one has a better chance of being taken out than most.

-Wlw.
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use poles in winter when walking on snow. It helps with the balance when stumbling around in the hills and the snow is overlaying hidden rocks. Until this weekend, I had never used poles in non snowy (summer) conditions, but I could really have done with some for crossing burns in full spate last Saturday. They were so useful (I had to use someone elses) that I might have to take my own out of the loft...
Two streams were crossed and poles were flying backwards and forwards across the burn like javelins amongst our group so we all got a shot. However, the last burn was far too dangerous to cross even with poles and we had to make a lengthy detour upstream and then across country. Eight km took four and a half hours.. Crying or Very sad
Decisive Twins
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since I knackered my knee snowboarding i use one walking pole for steep ascents. when not used for climbing they are good for prodding things in shallow pools of water (fish, frog spawn, husbands, etc.). i've got a pair of leki ultralite titanium poles. they are very good and light. that is the extent of my review. oh yes, they have anti-shock - not really sure what the point of that it, haven't noticed any difference....
The Blanks Bandits
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: MORE ON POLES Reply with quote

Glad you found the pole useful WLW, just like DTs I use one to help old kness going up big hills. Not sure about the arguments for 2 rather than one though ....

Can't imagine you using 2 cameras at once!

TBB
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: MORE ON POLES Reply with quote

The Blanks Bandits wrote:
Can't imagine you using 2 cameras at once!
TBB

Very easily. Smile

I have a photograph here somewhere which was taken with two cameras at once, but it might take me a while to produce it. I just tidied my study, and now I can't find anything.

(The photo subject was astronomical, so it's probably with all the other astronomical stuff that I can't find, either.)

-Wlw.
jester2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bad knees and a pair of poles are what keeps me walking these days. They do take the pressure off your lower joints. Stand on a bathroom scales and weigh yourself. Now try it while supporting yourself on poles and see the difference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General rambling(s) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: