Coached Off The Couch
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Coached Off The Couch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Coached Off The Couch Reply with quote

Coached Off The Couch is a new TV series which starts on the 14th September on STV.

I'm not sure which episode it will be, but Geocaching will be shown on one of the shows.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received the Press Release for this. Episode 3, aired on the 28th September is the one to or not to watch......

NEW SIX-PART SERIES COACHED OFF THE COUCH TO SCREEN ON STV

Starts 14th September at 8pm for six weeks

11th September 2012

With less than two years until the Commonwealth Games arrive in Scotland, there has never been a better time for Scots to get off the couch and get active. Coached Off The Couch, a brand new six-part series, presented by Kelly Cates, has enlisted the help of some of the nation’s top athletes who will challenge and inspire a group of typical Scots to get fit by discovering a new love for sport and fitness.

Each week the Scottish athletes will introduce the volunteers to three new and exciting sports and give them some friendly guidance on their journey to a fitter, healthier lifestyle. For some it may be an uphill struggle, and others might find a talent they never knew they had.

In the series, families and individuals from all over Scotland will benefit from the experience of some of Scotland’s greatest champions, including David Wilkie (swimming), Liz McColgan (athletics), Catriona Matthew (golf), Mark Beaumont (cycling), Graham Randall (judo), Scott Hastings (rugby), Alex Arthur (boxing), and Gary Innes (shinty). In addition, a host of junior champions and Commonwealth hopefuls will be on hand to encourage and inspire our volunteers.

Each episode will introduce the volunteers to three different activities, two of which they will be aware of in advance, the third, the wildcard, will come as a complete surprise to them.
Among the sports and activities featured over this six-part series are swimming, mountain biking, geo-cashing, road cycling, field archery, salsa dancing, track running, surfing, karate, judo, rugby, roller derby, hill walking, rock climbing, golf, figure skating and football.

Elizabeth Partyka, deputy director of channels at STV, said: “Coached Off The Couch is a programme that gives our viewers an insight into how they can be more active and have fun whilst getting fit. We hope the combination of a successful Olympics, the forthcoming Commonwealth Games, and our inspiring sporting mentors will provide the incentive for our viewers to get off the couch and deliver a real sporting legacy for the future.”

Coached Off The Coach is sponsored by Healthier Scotland in association with the Daily Record.

Sport Minister Shona Robison said: “Inactivity is one of the biggest health issues of the 21st century and our overriding Commonwealth Games legacy is to help Scots become and stay physically active. Starting on the day Scotland’s inspiring Olympic and Paralympic heroes parade through Glasgow, Coached off the Couch will show people just how easy it is to take seemingly small steps to a healthier, more active life.”

Allan Rennie, editor-in-chief of the Daily Record, said: "We are delighted to get behind this campaign that is not just about getting fit but about having fun and spending some quality time with your family."

For further information on the programme, visit www.stv.tv/coached or get involved on Twitter #coached

Episode synopsis

Episode 1 - Friday 14th September, 8pm

The Busy Bee nursery nurses, Dundee
Kelly Cates joins a group of four nursery nurses from Newport on Tay who have decided to get fit. Sharon Cura (49), Clair Wishart (31), Emma Falls (28), and Kelly McIntosh (21), are introduced to the rough and tumble of judo by former world champion Graeme Randall and some of Scotland's 2014 Commonwealth Games hopefuls. Former Scottish Rugby international Scott Hastings then takes them for a rugby training session before they get their war paint, wheels and crash helmets on, for a hilarious wildcard roller derby challenge.

Episode 2 – Friday 21st September, 8pm
The Campbell family, Grangemouth
In this episode, Scotland's foremost adventurer Mark Beaumont joins presenter Kelly Cates to inspire the Campbell family from Grangemouth off the couch and onto their bikes. Dad Craig and mum Amanda, both 40, and children Molly (13), and Sam (7), are also forced to overcome their fear of heights to experience the thrill of rock climbing at the world's biggest indoor climbing centre. And if that wasn't enough, the family is sent into the rain soaked Scottish mountains to complete their wildcard challenge of bagging a Munro by climbing Ben Lawers.

Episode 3 – Friday 28th September, 8pm
The Goodall family, East Lothian
Scotland's Olympic gold medalist David Wilkie returns to his home town of Edinburgh to help the Goodall family find a fun way to get fit and enjoy sport. Presenter Kelly Cates joins dad Cammy (42), wife and mum Gerry (33), and their children Murron (7), and Maggie (5), as they enjoy fun in the pool with David and Commonwealth water polo captain Gael Logan. Then it's off to the Highlands for mountain biking, under the watchful eye of Scotland's shinty captain Gary Innes, before hooking up with ‘Haggis Hunter’ to find treasures in Midlothian when they go Geocaching.

Episode 4 – Friday 5th October, 8pm
The Kennedy and Cockburn families, Glasgow
In this episode, Kelly Cates joins two single mums from the East End of Glasgow and their pre-teen daughters as they search for a sport they can enjoy together. After a difficult start trying Scotland's most popular sport, football, Irene Cockburn and daughter Emily (12) excel at Scotland's national sport, golf, thanks to former ladies open golf champion Catriona Matthew. Their friends Sharon (41) and Megan Kennedy (9) skate to success after a trip to East Kilbride and a little help from Scottish Champion, Taylor Ranald.

Episode 5 – Friday 12th October, 7.30pm
The Steen family, Livingston
With their daughter away at university and their silver wedding anniversary celebration in Cuba fast approaching, Billy (46), and Louise Steen (44), have decided now is the time to get fit. To help them, presenter Kelly Cates enlists the help of former world boxing champion Alex Arthur and Commonwealth cycling hopeful Katy Winton. They are put through their paces in the Pentland Hills before trying out field archery in the Torphichen woods. Things heat up when they take on salsa dancing as their wildcard.

Episode 6 – Friday 19th October, 8pm
The Mackie family, Peterhead
In this episode, Scottish athletics legend Liz McColgan and her daughter, Commonwealth Games hopeful Eilish are in Peterhead, where the Mackie family is in need of help. Dad Graeme (36), Mum Linda (35), fear their new fitness regime is running out of steam already, and are looking for new sports to kick start their enthusiasm. Kelly Cates introduces them to Liz and Eilish, and gets the whole family including teenager Liam (13), and his sisters Gemma (10), and Lauren (6) involved. Kelly and the family then don wetsuits, and with the help of local surfing champion Mark ‘Scratch’ Cameron, take the plunge into the bracing North Sea, before they try their wildcard activity, karate.[/u]
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Dave! It's a pity they couldn't spell geocaching correctly though. Although I watch almost no live TV, I will tune in next Friday.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 minutes 50 seconds into part 2 of the programme is the Geocaching part, but you have to put up with the adverts first.....

http://player.stv.tv/programmes/coached-off-couch/2012-09-28-2000/#
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad seemed pretty keen on the geocaching - so is he hooked?
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firth of Forth wrote:
Dad seemed pretty keen on the geocaching - so is he hooked?

Not got a clue, I don't have their contact details and don't know their username if they registered.
ceebee123

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Caught up with the piece on Geocaching on my PC. Reply with quote

Wached it on the STV player on my PC as I forgot to record the programme on Friday evening. Sad

The ads I had to watch before seeing the piece on Geocaching were a PITA but the content in the piece was good. Smile
Original A1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was out of the country when it went out, but just caught up with the caching bit. Great stuff, Dave.

Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: