Challenges
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Challenges

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agentmancuso

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Challenges Reply with quote

Groundspeak are attempting to ruin the whole basis of geocaching (finding stuff with a GPSr) with a lot of dross about taking photos of yourself picking your nose or hugging a dog. Please use your votes on the feedback forum to kill this nonsense.
guybles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I thought it was a nice way to recreate and reinvigorate the virtual and webcam caches...and there's nothing that stops you having a challenge at a specific set of coordinates, that you need to find with a GPSr.

Still, horses for courses. I do hope that some of the Edinburgh cachers come up with something imaginative and/or educational, rather than following the theme of just having a photo with a novelty object.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not looked into it enough to form an opinion yet. I may try one or two out and maybe make one or two, but only once work is out of the way.
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have created some challenges and I have completed some challenges.

My personal view (and it's never worth anything) is you either do them or you don't, in the same way I don't do what I might call "lame" caches but others think they are the best thing since whenever.

Many people play the game in a different way from others.

Let peace reign across the land......

(I do believe that Kissing a Frog has gone and so has Tree Hugging etc - though I did like the one that involved taking a screen shot of the Forum "Vote to get rid of challenges" post.... ) Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by HighlandNick on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
agentmancuso

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue here is not whether some people are stupid enough to want to post pictures of themselves picking their nose; human behaviour is inherently mysterious. The fact remains: it has absolutely nothing to do with geocaching.

Worse still, Groundspeak's determination to silence the outcry that Challenges immediately caused by deleting Feedback threads and Forum posts is an absolute disgrace. They want to take our money, but not listen to our voice? They'll get not a penny more from me.
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay taxes too and DC doesn't listen to me either. Can I opt out of that one???

Sorry - this is trying to be vaguely funny ....

I do agree that GS deleting threads etc is unwarranted. This won't happen on this Forum I can assure you.
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, the sun is shining. Time to find some boxes.

I've been stuck in too long trying to solve a puzzle cache that appears not to warrant a GPS. (No its not a Challenge cache....)
agentmancuso

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, yes, but then government is both de jure & de facto a monopoly, so we can't do much about DC.

But Groundspeak has no right to behave like Dave; it's just arrogance. So the only logical solution from my point of view is to break their unfortunate de facto monopoly, by shifting my caches elsewhere. A tiny drop in the ocean, obviously, but I feel better for it. Wink
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take up Munzee hunting for a wee while until you get over it then you can do both and not feel beholden to Groundspeak so much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: