Cache permission
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Cache permission

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dovsport

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Cache permission Reply with quote

Hi guys, my first post so hello to all Smile

Just got a few questions as Im still very new to this and not yet clued up on all the ins and outs of how things work (I have had a search on this but ended up more confused than I started).

Ok so placing a cache. I understand from posts on here and GC.com that permission to place a cahce, ok so far.

However, what Im not greatly clear on in some respects is who you would you actually ask for permission for some sights. I get the jist of where to contact if its like a woodland area or a country park etc. But if your placing one on a public footpath/cycleway who would you contact in that instance?

Thanks in advance Dave.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum and the addiction.

This is a difficult question to answer as some people will not want to give an honest answer to what they do, due to reviewers being members of this forum Exclamation Exclamation

A very large majority of caches do not have permission for many different reasons. So you have to apply some common sense. Try and find who may be able to give permission, which could even be the council. If this fails and a lot of the time it will, then do a little bit of homework and make sure that you aren't going to place it in a protected area such as within an SSSI (you definitely need permission for this), Magic Maps is a good resource for this. If you have done everything that you can then place the cache. But most important of all is be honest with the reviewer. If that means you don't get your cache published then so be it. But your credibility with the reviewer will be good and they will trust what you say in the future.

I hope you don't mind a little bit of further advice?

I've had a quick look at your profile and I am pleased to see that most of the caches you have found are good examples of what Geocaching should be about. Don't fall into the trap of placing a cache just for the sake of placing one. You will end up seeing many caches like that, and there is at least one cache on your find list that falls into that category.
When placing a cache always ask yourself one question. If I never knew about this location would I want to be brought here? I hope the answers are obvious?

Good luck with your first placement, and don't worry if you make mistakes. It is a learning curve, just try to learn from the feedback that you get.
Dovsport

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggis Hunter - thanks for the reply and the advice, all taken, noted & appreciated.

Im still a fair bit off actually placing my first cahce, as I think I should gain some more experience, and also experience of different cahces in different areas before I start placing any.
However I fully appreciate what your saying, I can see how it would be easy to get over enthusiastic and just start placing them anywhere just for the sake of it. The area I currently have in mind for my first one is a nice tranquil area with a stunning view and makes for a nice walk (I was actually surprised there wasnt one there already, all though there may be a reason for that dare say Ill find out if there is when I ask for permission), and although there is a cahce near-by its not one that would directly bring you to this area.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression that you may do alright when it comes to cache placement, I look forward to hunting for them once you do place them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: