A bit of help with Field Note Import & Log
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

A bit of help with Field Note Import & Log

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: A bit of help with Field Note Import & Log Reply with quote

I have been having fun with a few GSAK macros recently (went a bit overboard with findstats and badges - see my profile!) and discovered this one, which is a brilliant idea. I havent ever used field notes on g.com before though so not really sure how it works.

I seemed to get the macro to work to upload found logs from my oregon and now have a list of caches with field notes on my profile. But there I'm stumped - when I click on the 'compose log' at the right hand side of one of the caches I found today, the log is empty and nothing that I wrote when the macro was running is there. I'm assuming that what should happen is that whatever was recorded by the macro should miraculously appear and then all I have to do is submit the log.

Any help or pointer to an idiot's guideappreciated. The thread on the GSAK macro forum only helped up to a point.
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you are using this macro - FieldNotesImportAndLog.gsk

If so, connect up the oregon to the PC, then run the macro.

Click on the buttons on the bottom of the form one at a time and it should then copy the file from the oregon and then step through each find one at a time. fill out the bottom part of the form with the text for you log, and having done this, once it gets to the last one it should then open up the form on gc.com. Click the browse button and this opens up a select file dialog. Click on where you would type the file name but instead of this press <ctrl>V and this will paste in the path to the file you have just created. Now press upload and then copy up all your logs. Now proceed as you did before but you will now find the text on the screen.

hope this helps and its great once you get it going.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Angus. I think I will be able to follow those steps - the last bits there were rather glossed over in the presentation on the GSAK forum for those of us not very familiar with how macros work.

Will now have to wait until I have found some more caches to try it out. I vaguely remember others talking about this but it was at that stage beyond me. It will be a definite help for any of those long caching days!
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to wait to test it and what I would suggest is using your Oregon in the back garden and set it as if you were finding some caches and just use the Oregon to mark some caches as found. Then try the macro out.

You can do everything that you would normally do i.e. transfer the info from the oregon to the pc, write some dummy logs, upload the 'logs/notes' to gc.com and open up the notes on gc.com to check the logs are there. (just don't submit the finds!!)

Once you are happy all is ok you can bulk delete the field notes/logs on gc.com and on your oregon just re-load the Caches to it to reset what it think you have found.

One last thing that I forgot to add in my last post is to make sure that once the inital file has been transferred to the Pc and you have uploaded the info to gc.com, you need to go back to your oregon and delete the txt file that was produced when you logged each find. This file is called geocache_visits.txt and can be found in the \Garmin directory on your device.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Angus. Yes deleting the visits.txt file was one thing I did manage to do, hence the reason I thought I needed to wait until I had found some more caches to try it out. But of course I can do a dry run as you suggest.....watch this space for a report on success/failure! Laughing
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! Actually got it to work this time. Thanks Angus.
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that its now working.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: