A good day ruined by a bad GPS
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

A good day ruined by a bad GPS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lodainn An Ear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: A good day ruined by a bad GPS Reply with quote

Had a frustrating day today having intended to do some caches in the Pentlands.

Set out from Boghall Farm and switched the GPS in my phone on and loaded up GPX View - DNF'd the Boghall Farm cache then set off on the climb up towards Caerketton East. I strayed a little off course and ended up closer to Caerketton West so decided to head for that and catch C East on the way back. By the time i reached CW the battery in my phone had died - very disappointing. As caching was out of my scope i continued along to Allermuir Hill and took in the grand views before heading back along the ridge and down to the car park.

...time to get a dedicated GPS (one for the Christmas list maybe!)

Still, i enjoyed the walk and so did the dogs! Not a disaster by any means.

*i use my Nokia N900 phone for caching... the battery has always been bad but never like it was today.
Hobgoblinkiteflier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some might say geocacing is a good walk spoiled, so it sounds like you had just the good walk. It was a great day for it, though.
Original A1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I had an appointment at the Gyle first thing yesterday, and because it was so lovely, thought I too would head up for those caches. Trouble was, I had a PQ from Edinburgh to North Berwick with a 3? mile radius from my home co-ords and they didn't include the Pentlands, so they weren't on the GPS. Result was I headed over Dalkeith way.

With your GPS and my batteries, we might have managed it, but hope you enjoyed the views nonetheless.

Cool
mrplenty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use the phone for placing caches?
I use my N900 for placing them and came under fire loads as unaccurate.
Ive even had it side by side a Garmin Vista HCX and there was about 5 foot difference...Hope santa is going to be good Smile
ayr_lad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrplenty wrote:
Ive even had it side by side a Garmin Vista HCX and there was about 5 foot difference...Hope santa is going to be good Smile

I've found plenty of your caches Mr Plenty. Some required a revisit once you'd updated the co-ordinates. However most were fine based on the original co-ordinates given. I'd have thought that the Vista HCX would have been more accurate than the phone. The H stands for High sensitivity and should give better co-ordinates where there is limited GPS signal.

Cheers
ayr_lad
Lodainn An Ear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrplenty wrote:

yes, i use the phone for placing caches. it is generally fairly accurate (better than the HTC Kaiser i had before) so long as you aren't under forest canopy. Haven't had too many complaints about my cache' co-ordinates but i have much fewer caches than you so law of averages comes into play. I'm sure anyone with so many caches and a top notch GPS is going to have a few that are a little out.

What app do you use? The 'precise position' function in GPX View allows multiple readings to build an average location, i usually let it get between 60 and 80 readings before taking the co-ordinates. Sometimes have to start again if the spread gets a bit wayward.

The only real bad point is the battery life when using GPS... about two hours is the limit normally - less when up hills!? Laughing

I thought about buying a bluetooth GPS unit to see if that would help with the battery life.
Lodainn An Ear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobgoblinkiteflier wrote:
Some might say geocacing is a good walk spoiled, so it sounds like you had just the good walk. It was a great day for it, though.

isn't that golf? Smile
mrplenty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same app as you GPXView, ive tried AGTL but not as nice as Gpxview.
I was looking at getting the HTC Wildfire as the reports on some posts on groundspeak say that the Gps is very accurate.
I did find the N900 is a bit iffy under tree cover and as you say the battery is also not very good probably due to the Gps draining it.

Cheers mrplenty
Maiawalli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sounds like quite a frustrating day for you Graham. We have similar problems with the battery life on our iPhones. What we do is only use the GPS function on them for the final hunt for the cache. If not we'd only get a cache or two before the battery died. We do have a proper GPS but find the phone far more convenient for cache hunting (at least when we're not right out in the sticks). We also need to get up the pentlands, as we've only got a few of the caches up there. Maybe we'll bump into you up there!
For setting caches we use our 'real' GPS and generally get a minimum of a hundred readings to average. If there's tree cover then we'll get more (3-400). The one cache we didn't average as we were in a bit of a hurry was well out, so we learnt our lesson that way.
MrPlenty. We've found about 40-45 of your caches now. As you said, initially there were some accuracy issues, but they've been greatly improved. One of these days we'll find the rest of your caches!
mrplenty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive cracked the issues of batteries and gps signals and my inaccuracies. Embarassed

Im going to use the sun by day and the moon and stars by night....

Look out for caches near or maybe not so near you.. Laughing
Lodainn An Ear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrplenty wrote:
I use the same app as you GPXView, ive tried AGTL but not as nice as Gpxview.
I was looking at getting the HTC Wildfire as the reports on some posts on groundspeak say that the Gps is very accurate.
I did find the N900 is a bit iffy under tree cover and as you say the battery is also not very good probably due to the Gps draining it.

Cheers mrplenty

I only use AGTL as a back up for when i don't have the gpx already in the phone, has come in handy a couple of times now.

There is an option to use GeoToad in GPX View but i cannot find where to install it from.
mrplenty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you installed Geotoad?
If you have just start it from the Tools menu in Gpxview.
And log in with your gc.com details.
If not get geotoad from the extras-devel repository from maemo.org
If you dont have the extras-devel i can send you it.

mrplenty
Maiawalli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sounds like quite a frustrating day for you Graham. We have similar problems with the battery life on our iPhones. What we do is only use the GPS function on them for the final hunt for the cache. If not we'd only get a cache or two before the battery died. We do have a proper GPS but find the phone far more convenient for cache hunting (at least when we're not right out in the sticks). We also need to get up the pentlands, as we've only got a few of the caches up there. Maybe we'll bump into you up there!
For setting caches we use our 'real' GPS and generally get a minimum of a hundred readings to average. If there's tree cover then we'll get more (3-400). The one cache we didn't average as we were in a bit of a hurry was well out, so we learnt our lesson that way.
MrPlenty. We've found about 40-45 of your caches now. As you said, initially there were some accuracy issues, but they've been greatly improved. One of these days we'll find the rest of your caches!
Lodainn An Ear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrplenty wrote:
Have you installed Geotoad?
If you have just start it from the Tools menu in Gpxview.
And log in with your gc.com details.
If not get geotoad from the extras-devel repository from maemo.org
If you dont have the extras-devel i can send you it.

mrplenty

i tend not to venture into extra-devel after having some major issues (reboot loop) early on in the n900 experience. I'll try geotoad tho, i guess it's working ok for you!?
Lodainn An Ear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maiawalli wrote:

it was a little frustrating but still a worth while trip. The view from the top is stunning. It's very odd to be looking down onto Arthur Seat!

i have found a bluetooth GPS i used for while before it became impossible to pair with but a long period of no power seems to have reset it. hopefully get a chance to try it at the weekend.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: