Cache Adoption?
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Cache Adoption?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Cache Adoption? Reply with quote

I'm wondering whether anyone is interested in adopting two of my caches in Colinton Dell (Dell View & Dryad)?? They are on the wrong side of town for me to look after and since I spend less time in Edinburgh now, are harder for me to maintain. They have both been going a while so their locations seem secure. Both probably need new logbooks by now, but otherwise there have not been any untoward reports.

Details here:
Dell View

Dryad
Maiawalli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd certainly be interested in adopting them! We're not too far away from there and do enjoy taking the dog out and about round there. We found Dryad a couple of weeks ago whilst out getting a few in the Dell.
I must also suggest Applecrumble as a possible candidate as well though, as she has several caches in the vicinity.
I will try and drop you an email in the morning, but I must really go to bed now.
Cheers,

Maiawalli.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a kind offer, thanks. I will initiate the process soon.

I believe that Applecrumble is otherwise known as Hugh, so 'she' is in fact a 'he'. It was my husband Jack Aubrey in fact who introduced his Dad (Liathach) to geocaching while walking up Table Mountain in Capetown several years ago.

Report here in fact!
Maiawalli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I must offer my sincere apologies to Hugh, aka Apple Crumble. I was sure i had seen a picture labelled Apple Crumble in a log, but it may have been by him, not of him. Lesson learnt, I shall now use them, they, etc! A bit safer I think.
I've never adopted a cache before, and although I have read the process in the knowledge books, I'm going to have another read through just now to make sure I remember exactly how it works.

Maiawalli.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that applecrumble is in fact a young gentleman by the name of Hugh.
I'm pleased you got someone to adopt them Sally. I remember you placed them for my first CITO event.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggis Hunter wrote:
I can confirm that applecrumble is in fact a young gentleman by the name of Hugh.
I'm pleased you got someone to adopt them Sally. I remember you placed them for my first CITO event.

Process already completed. Many thanks maiawalli. Managed to spend a whole day maintaining some of our caches in East Lothian yesterday. Now to find time to do the same for some in Edinburgh......I have no idea how cachers who have hundreds of caches are able to look after them Shocked
Maiawalli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to FoF for allowing us to adopt the two caches. We'll go down and do a health check on them etc at the weekend, and make sure we're familiar with them.
I finally managed to read all the posts in the link you posted FoF (my read was interrupted by a trip to Troon for work - though I managed to find a couple of caches on the way.) It seems like JA had a fantastic time down in RSA. The two of us who form Maiawalli are off to Oz at Christmas so are looking forward to some antipodean caching.
Thanks again,
Maiawalli
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maiawalli wrote:
Many thanks to FoF for allowing us to adopt the two caches. We'll go down and do a health check on them etc at the weekend, and make sure we're familiar with them.
I finally managed to read all the posts in the link you posted FoF (my read was interrupted by a trip to Troon for work - though I managed to find a couple of caches on the way.) It seems like JA had a fantastic time down in RSA. The two of us who form Maiawalli are off to Oz at Christmas so are looking forward to some antipodean caching.
Thanks again,
Maiawalli

Antipodean caching? Always take a stick with you! There is another caching report about adventures down under here and here, though the latter is more about not taking teenagers caching with you Confused

Last edited by Firth of Forth on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Maiawalli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had stumbled across both those threads a while ago whilst finding my way around the forums. It's truly is worlds away from caching here and we're both looking forward to it. The student half of us is Australian, so we have some local knowledge of the bugs and other nasties, though neither of us have cached in Oz before. I think I'll take note of some of the tips I've seen in the threads and in logs of various caches. I certainly wouldn't rake around in the leaf litter like I do here.
Maiawalli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've now been down and checked out both caches. We've put in new log books in both, and replaced the container in Dryad as the bottom of it was cracked.
Thanks for allowing us to adopt such well established caches. Hopefully they'll go on for a long time to come.

Maiawalli.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maiawalli wrote:
We've now been down and checked out both caches. We've put in new log books in both, and replaced the container in Dryad as the bottom of it was cracked.
Thanks for allowing us to adopt such well established caches. Hopefully they'll go on for a long time to come.

Maiawalli.

That's wonderful, thanks so much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: