What it is that causes you the most DNFs?
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

What it is that causes you the most DNFs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayr_lad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: What it is that causes you the most DNFs? Reply with quote

Hi

I visited a cache today that was hidden chest high in ivy. When I got to GZ, there was a lot of ivy there. I've decided that I hate ivy, apart from incorrect co-ordinates, it is what is most likely to end up in a DNF or multiple visits to get a find for me! It was a pleasant walk to the cache in question, so didnt mind the DNF!

The owner of this cache is very much a regular on this board, so it is not a slight on the cache itself. Probably says more about me than the cache! What is most likely to stop you claiming your find?

Cheers
ayr_lad
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caches outside houses where the occupants can clearly see you searching.
Lodainn An Ear

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my GPS being kinda poor - its a mobile phone! - so show it some trees and it gets skittery! Confused

Jack Aubrey's Moss Point Cache is the one that really has me. My GPS just pings about all over the place as soon as i go anywhere near it! i have given up on that one.

that and muggles.... i almost fear muggles! it's like the GPS makes me instantly nervous of passer's by! Surprised
Original A1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very like one I found today, although I'm not sure whether the CO is a poster on these boards, so perhaps not.

Vil puts me off, but so does gorse. I mean, what's the point?!!

I'm not unduly fussed by muggles as you know - remember Wallyford, Lodainn An Ear?! - but if I feel uneasy at a site, may well not venture further, or take someone with me. That doesn't really help you though as it's just an instinctive thing...

Confused
Lodainn An Ear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i remember Wallyford. I still see that guy out practising his sax every now and then! Very Happy
jester2005

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do crap nanos count?
Jack Aubrey
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: What it is that causes you the most DNFs? Reply with quote

ayr_lad wrote:
Hi

I visited a cache today that was hidden chest high in ivy. When I got to GZ, there was a lot of ivy there. I've decided that I hate ivy, apart from incorrect co-ordinates, it is what is most likely to end up in a DNF or multiple visits to get a find for me! It was a pleasant walk to the cache in question, so didnt mind the DNF!

The owner of this cache is very much a regular on this board, so it is not a slight on the cache itself. Probably says more about me than the cache! What is most likely to stop you claiming your find?

Cheers
ayr_lad

As the guilty cache owner I have to confess that I failed to find this cache myself. It was reported missing, I visited, confirmed it was gone and replaced it. A subsequent finder was puzzled to discover two boxes not very far apart.... Embarassed
Maiawalli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: DNFs Reply with quote

I think the biggest factor for me is being watched by people who are thinking 'what the heck are these folk up to?' I'm not a huge fan of caches that are right outside peoples windows. I also think it's a pretty fast way of getting those caches muggled, as folk want to know what it is that we're looking for.
There's a cache on the canal in Edinburgh that I want to get, but it's overlooked by about 20 flats. I shall have to do a late night hunt for that one, as my 2 previous attempts have ended in me giving up, while people stare at me from their windows.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: DNFs Reply with quote

Maiawalli wrote:
I think the biggest factor for me is being watched by people who are thinking 'what the heck are these folk up to?' I'm not a huge fan of caches that are right outside peoples windows. I also think it's a pretty fast way of getting those caches muggled, as folk want to know what it is that we're looking for.
There's a cache on the canal in Edinburgh that I want to get, but it's overlooked by about 20 flats. I shall have to do a late night hunt for that one, as my 2 previous attempts have ended in me giving up, while people stare at me from their windows.

The only time this does not apply is at a mega event when there are more cachers than muggles and around and it is the muggles going about their daily business who look strange!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: