Seeking permission from Fife Council ?!?!
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Seeking permission from Fife Council ?!?!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavin4077

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Seeking permission from Fife Council ?!?! Reply with quote

I recently laid a series of caches in Valleyfield Woods in Fife after spending quite a lot of time looking into the history of the park. I also spend quite a bit of time plotting the exact locations of the features and historical remains in the park then placed the containers thinking there would be no problems...

I submitted the series (5 in total) to the review team and it was rejected as it was within a Fife Council park and I need to send evidence in the form of a contact name and number that I have permission... which is fair enough (although there was already caches in there, I assume without permission).

Having called the local office in Valleyfield which was in turn diverted to Kirkaldy as they couldn't help, I've been in touch with four different people now (mostly by email). Having contacted "those that can help" at the end of February, they discussed my case at their last meeting this month and couldn't decide... so have now postponed it until 30th April some planning permission assessment, then permission should be granted in the following meeting on 10th May. Before this, they said I would have to accompany a council worker to show them the exact location(s) prior to permission. Assuming this would be in working hours, it's practically impossible for me.

So.... I've given up... and decided it would be a LOT easier to just place one microcache at the entrance. It's a shame, as I love the wood (as do the kids and dog) and there is a lot of unique and historic features hidden away in the undergrowth that I have spent time discovering. The whole point of geocaching (for me at least) is to show others the interesting geographic locations we find!

On a positive note, I've been given permission from the Forestry Commission (verbally when I met them, but have "direct" email contact info too!) to place geocaches in any of their parks, as long as I let them know. I'm also going to place a few caches in woodland reserves looked after by the Scottish Woodland Trust, who encourage it so long as you just tell them!

To get to me point... has anyone else tried seeking permission from Fife Council, or have I went wrong somewhere??
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are frequently times lately when I think this whole hobby is in danger of collapse. As it has grown, so have the hurdles for placing caches.

We recently tried to publish an earthcache on top of Traprain Law, and were planning a few others in the area, but gave up in the face of a completely unreasonable request to gain permission from the council and have their explicit approval of the wording on the cache page! As if they would be a) be bothered to approve wording and b) unlikely in principle ever to agree to commit themselves to do so!
allieballie
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have many views on this but I have to go back to work in a minute so haven't got time to start!

However I would say that I think Fife Council are being extremely OTT (mind you I work for them and live here and some of the decisions they make are completely ridiculous so it actually does not surprise me in the least that they are being so ludicrous). I would suggest getting back in touch with them and perhaps letting them know that other Scottish councils around are quite happy to give permission without having to go through all the nonsense they seem to be insiting upon. I think I am right in saying that Aberdeenshire Council are happy to let caches be placed on their land (if you get in touch with Geoki through gc.com - she will be able to let you know more about this). I also asked Moray Council for permission in one of their country parks a few years back and had no problem whatsoever, so there are precedents out there, for which we haven't had to go through all this palaver.
Original A1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not tried to set any in Fife, but I've been challenged to set 5 in Antarctica (since changed to include the sub-Antarctic islands) which obviously means earthcaches as I can't get down there to maintain others.

Try getting permission from the landowner when the continent doesn't actually belong to anyone!!!

So I sympathise.

Shocked
allieballie
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking permission from Fife Council ?!?! Reply with quote

Gavin4077 wrote:

they said I would have to accompany a council worker to show them the exact location(s) prior to permission.

Have been thinking about this off and on all night and to be honest it's making me see red! For example, it seems to be alright by Fife Council to have one of their workers (exactly what department would that worker be from I wonder?) go out and be shown possible geocache locations - for what purpose exactly? (Health and safety issues or something equally silly no doubt) when rumours are rife throughout schools that Fife Council has no money and many Support teachers are likely to lose their jobs next year, if not before. Ach well, never mind, perhaps I can get new employment as Fife Council's Official Geocache Approver?

And what about all the caches already out? Would they have to be inspected by Fife Council and given an official seal of approval (actually this new post is sounding more and more appealing - would be full time given the amount of caches out there, and after all I have relevant experience!)

And as for all the planning permission nonsense - well, this is from a council who think it's perfectly acceptable to allow a hot food takeaway to be developed in a conservation area (and who say that they don't envisage parking problems in relation to it when you can't even get bloomin' parked now never mind when the fast food magnet is created) - sorry I am now getting personal because the hot food takeway is going to be right next to my house. So you can perhaps begin to see why I am rather irate, what with Fife Council likely to put my job at risk and no chance of me being able to sell my house and move elsewhere to find work because Fife Council have approved a hot food takeaway next door to me so no-one will want to buy my house and even if by some remote chance they do, the value will have fallen. I'm afraid Fife Council are not held high in my estimation at present, and this tale here just reinforces my feelings about them.

Planning permission to set a cache? Gee whizz - I have never heard anything so bizarre in all my life! Maybe I can buy a giant plastic container, plonk it down somewhere in Fife, call it a geocache, and live in it when I can't afford to pay the mortgage from my unemployment benefit any more! Surely Fife Council will owe me that much!

I have digressed somewhat and I apologise for that - but I do feel better for letting off a bit of steam!

What I was going to say was that of you look at the GAGB site - specifically here: http://www.gagb.co.uk/gagb/glad/index.php, you will find a list of councils nationwide who have given permission for geocaches to be placed on their land (also worth noting that no councils are as yet on the list of those who have refused permission). Is it worth letting Fife Council know that this is not a unique request?!
Gavin4077

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Fife Council don't mind bending the rules (or at least pushing their boundaries slightly!) when a proposal might generate them some revenue?

I'm sorry to hear about the situation with the takeaway, I can imagine the problems it will quite obviously bring must be worrying and frustrating for a lot of folk near to it Sad

Did they receive objections and address them properly?

Anyway... I've received another email from them. They are now willing to let me place the caches before the next department meeting on 30th April, however still insist on a site visit before granting permission. Maybe it's a case of spitting my dummy out at this stage... but I'm just blue in the face writing long emails trying to explain something so simple.. and I really can't get away from work to do this.

I've sent a screen cap of a map showing the amount of caches in Fife and also sent the link allieballie mentioned to show them how other councils are slightly less *cough* about all this.

It just frustrates me that with the amount of vandalism and litter at this site.. that they can be so difficult with letting me hide a few plastic tubs under old logs and stones...... argh!

You'd think a council (perhaps a different department admittedly) would encourage geocaching in general to promote their park and woodlands. It's an interesting woodland but the paths are not marked (unlike Forestry Comission colour codes routes which are great!) and the map isn't easy to relate to the actual site, so I felt caches would be an easier.

For what it's worth.. my contact is Theresa Hughes and she's based in Kirkaldys planning department (Fife Council Planning Office,
Town House, Wemyssfield, KIRKCALDY) as "Planner MRTPI", PRE&P Team Project Planner.

The abbreviation means "Member of the Royal Town Planning Institute", which does seem a little excessive for sticking a plastic tub under a log.... but that appears to be the protocol.... or maybe I just ended up contacting the wrong people....

Perhaps my last (and I mean last!) email tonight with further exhaustive details and explanation will be enough to grant permission without a site visit.... if not, then I just give up!
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth mentioning to them that Perth & Kinross council are gold sponsors for the Mega event and that one of their departments are paying for about 150 caches to be placed for the event.
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cant make a daytime meeting in Fife to point out the tupperware then surely another cacher could do this for you.

I think there might be a few cachers who now dont have to go to work every day so perhaps you could co-opt one of them to help out?
chizu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of this comes down to who you speak to at the council... you have obviously been sent down a route involving planners, etstate management etc

In Edinburgh, I have contacted the rangers service, sent full details and there has been no real issue. But these are practical people, who want to encourage access.

Having worked in a council and working with them a lot now, who you speak to can sadly have an impact, but sometimes it is hard to know who to approach. Of course, all councils have differences too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: