Garmin Oregon 550 MicroSD Help
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Garmin Oregon 550 MicroSD Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nivekpenrith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Garmin Oregon 550 MicroSD Help Reply with quote

Hi can anybody help i've got a micro SD card in the oregon, and have now used up all my internal memory i down loaded some caches on to the SD card but they don't appear on my map. I've looked through the manual and disc but can't find anything about loading data or using the micro sd card
Nivekpenrith
Geo_Steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you created a folder on the SD card called Garmin\GPX and placed the caches in there?
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geo_Steve wrote:
Have you created a folder on the SD card called Garmin\GPX and placed the caches in there?

You actually need a folder called 'Garmin' and then inside that folder another folder called 'GPX' You need to unzip the GSAK file and then just load the GSAK file into the folder.

If this doesn't work, move what you have downloaded to your internal memory over to your SD card and then put your GSAK files into the above named folders that should already be on your internal memory.

A point to note, that if the GPS is disconnected to soon after downloading then they won't show up on your map or on the GPS, despite the files being there. To solve this you just have to reload them again.

This advice is given from using an Oregon 300 and presuming that the 500 will be the same.

A question from me though. In the GPX file there is a 'Current' folder with a GSAK file in it, do I need to keep this folder or can I safely delete it?
Geo_Steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggis Hunter wrote:
Geo_Steve wrote:
You actually need a folder called 'Garmin' and then inside that folder another folder called 'GPX' You need to unzip the GSAK file and then just load the GSAK file into the folder.

Yup that's what I meant with the directory separator \ it indicates a folder\sub folder.
Haggis Hunter wrote:

A question from me though. In the GPX file there is a 'Current' folder with a GSAK file in it, do I need to keep this folder or can I safely delete it?

It is safe to delete the Current.gpx file but there is no need. The Current.gpx file gets rewritten each time there is a change on your gps, so it's always current, hence the name Smile It will simply rebuild itself if you delete it.
You can use it to output info like current track logs, waypoints etc to third party software.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: