Spec me a new gpsr please!
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Spec me a new gpsr please!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenygianty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Spec me a new gpsr please! Reply with quote

Following last years dissasembly of my Geko 201 http://geox.easyphpbb.com/viewtopic.php?t=1500 , I think it's now on it's last legs. The plastic casing is cracking around where the screws go in, and it seems to be taking an age to get a satellite lock on. Sad

Garmin said they could do an out of warranty swap for a refurbished 201 for £33, however I'm thinking I could do with something newer.

I'm not sure I need a mapping gps - are these tied into a proprietary mapping system?

Downloading waypoints from GSAK / or from geocaching.com google map I find that the geko 201 truncates the waypoint names to 6 characters so depending on the geocache code I could end up overwriting one waypoint with another.

And I'm looking to spend under £100 if possible!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you look here?

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=243063

Plenty of advice on a GPSr for under £100
greenygianty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that HighlandNick, I must say I keep forgetting there are forums on the groundspeak site! Embarassed
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Spec me a new gpsr please! Reply with quote

greenygianty wrote:

Downloading waypoints from GSAK / or from geocaching.com google map I find that the geko 201 truncates the waypoint names to 6 characters so depending on the geocache code I could end up overwriting one waypoint with another.

Why not drop the GC characters at the beginning of the waypoint code. This is what I used to do using the Geko 201. GSAK drops the GC, but still leaves the first two characters of the child waypoints in tact by dropping the 7th character off them.
cheeseboy24

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are a few forums with GPS reviews - I have been looking to upgrade for a few months now but don't seem to get any further than - confused....??

Currently have a Garmin Nuvi which has served me well getting to 140ish caches, however there is no compass and accuracy is sometimes a bit suspect. Also whilst the Nuvi is fine for using as a trad sat nav to get the the close proximity - it is a pain to change the settings to "pedestrian" and "off road". Would be good to use the nuvi to get me close but use another GPS for the actual cache hunt.

I use the GSAK to dowload pocket queries for paperless. Anything that could support this would be great. Have seen the Oregon and Colorado which look to hit the mark but was wondering if there is anything else.
chizu

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what your budget is... we have just got the ETrex Legend HCX, also use the Nuvi to get to the general location. It is rated fairly well by those using it for Open Street Map data collection (power users!) and I think was just over the £100 when we got it.

The X in the name of the Etrex models mean they have a better "chip", we have been impressed with the improved signal especially under trees and in urban locations.

You can expand the memory with a micro SD, there are various options for free base mapping, but if you have the nuvi to get to the general location it is probably a nice extra rather than an essential. We have managed since 2006 without base mapping on a former ETrex model.
cheeseboy24

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response,

Just to clarify - does the e-trex Legend (or Vista) HCx support paperless caching?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: