Memory Map on PDA help
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Memory Map on PDA help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Memory Map on PDA help Reply with quote

I bought a 2GB (dirt cheap from 7dayshop.com) SD card and put it in my PDA to replace the 1 GB Sd card, uploaded the map from memory map, exported & copied the .mmo cache flags file onto the storage card, but I can't get anything to open on the PDA. The message I get on the PDA is "Cannot find 'filename' or one of its components. Make sure the path and filename are correct and the required libraries are available".

I've probably missed something basic, but it's so long since I orignally set up pocket navigator on the PDA that I can;t remember what I did the first time. Does anyone have any suggestions (other than to try redoing the whole thing or putting the old SD card back in)? Crying or Very sad
Jack Aubrey
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an even more irritating signal when combined with the still more chilling error message "partner has failed to pick up relevant OS 25000 sheet on domicile exit". (See log entry at www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1f5b4d58-4383-485a-84a6-fde1677a21c7)Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Jack in Irons
yob kulcha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you exported your maps did you make sure to highlight the "Storage card on PC" circle?

Assuming you choose the Export functions from the MM toolbar is there a possibility that your PDA is attempting to open a map that you haven't yet exported?
klankie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I need more advice than FoF.
I have the hardware (as long as a PALM Tungsten PDA, 2Gb SD card and MM will do) but have never tried to get them working together.
What is the first step in getting this working?
Is there a dedicate website with a step by step guide? (OK, I really mean an idiots guide)
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of good online guides to this - will see if I can locate them. But as far as I know (and that ain't up to mcuh with these techie things) you can't use MM on a Palm, only a pocketpc.
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firth of Forth wrote:
But as far as I know (and that ain't up to mcuh with these techie things) you can't use MM on a Palm, only a pocketpc.

Correct
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Memory Map on PDA help Reply with quote

Firth of Forth wrote:
I bought a 2GB (dirt cheap from 7dayshop.com) SD card and put it in my PDA to replace the 1 GB Sd card, uploaded the map from memory map, exported & copied the .mmo cache flags file onto the storage card, but I can't get anything to open on the PDA. The message I get on the PDA is "Cannot find 'filename' or one of its components. Make sure the path and filename are correct and the required libraries are available".

I've probably missed something basic, but it's so long since I orignally set up pocket navigator on the PDA that I can;t remember what I did the first time. Does anyone have any suggestions (other than to try redoing the whole thing or putting the old SD card back in)? Crying or Very sad

Try reinstalling MM on your PocketPC again. Put PDA in the dock, let it sync....
Whilst you are at it, make sure you have the latest version of ActiveSync. I had problems recently and had to do this. I'm using v 4.5.0 (Build 5096) You can upgrade for free from the Microsoft website. Search for ActiveSync in Google....

When installing MM again it will ask you if this is what you really want to do - say yes.
You can let MM choose the Default location for you. It's happier that way!

When you start up MM on the PDA, click on menu, then Map...
and select your map.
As the Yobs have said, did you put your maps onto the Storage Card? Either via ActiveSync in the dock (which is painfully slow) or by removing the card and putting it into a card reader (much faster) On the Storage card, I put my maps into here: My Device/Storage Card/ Memory Map/ qct.

If your map is here, then you will see: From_OS _150... when you use File Explorer on the PDA to find this path on the card. There will be two files - a large one which is the map data and another smaller file that goes with it. You can see these transferring by watching the progress bar. To transfer, select Send Visible Map portion (or whole map if you have a fast PDA) A separate window opens for you to choose the ActiveSync or card reader transfer options. If you use the reader method, click the small button with the dots to browse to the correct file location on the card (MemoryMap/qct folder as before.)

You load the cache data from MM using the Export Data to device option under Mobile Device.

BTW, my version of MM (v5) uses the terminology Mobile Device rather than (I think) PDA as used by previous versions of MM.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of that Nick - and I hope it will be of help to others too. I will try and get it sorted using the suggestions. (Files are all on storage card btw).
Gavin4077

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a company that sells several brands of SD card and we've had a LOT of returns of the cheaper cards as being incompatible with PDAs and some cameras. On that note, it might be worthwhile uploading a different file such as an MP3 track to see if you can open and play it?

I agree with HighlandNick too, reinstalling MM is probably a good idea. I'm not sure exactly how PPC stores program files, but it could be possible there was part of the installation on the 1Gb card somehow?

Btw, followed your advice on Gpxsonar (and MM) and can happily say I am now a paperless geocacher! Smile
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! Updated Activesync, reloaded MM onto PDA and then the maps and cache file...and hey presto...it works! Thanks!
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Memory Map on PDA help Reply with quote

HighlandNick wrote:
Firth of Forth wrote:

Try reinstalling MM on your PocketPC again. Put PDA in the dock, let it sync....
Whilst you are at it, make sure you have the latest version of ActiveSync. I had problems recently and had to do this. I'm using v 4.5.0 (Build 5096) You can upgrade for free from the Microsoft website. Search for ActiveSync in Google....

When installing MM again it will ask you if this is what you really want to do - say yes.
You can let MM choose the Default location for you. It's happier that way!

When you start up MM on the PDA, click on menu, then Map...
and select your map.
As the Yobs have said, did you put your maps onto the Storage Card? Either via ActiveSync in the dock (which is painfully slow) or by removing the card and putting it into a card reader (much faster) On the Storage card, I put my maps into here: My Device/Storage Card/ Memory Map/ qct.

If your map is here, then you will see: From_OS _150... when you use File Explorer on the PDA to find this path on the card. There will be two files - a large one which is the map data and another smaller file that goes with it. You can see these transferring by watching the progress bar. To transfer, select Send Visible Map portion (or whole map if you have a fast PDA) A separate window opens for you to choose the ActiveSync or card reader transfer options. If you use the reader method, click the small button with the dots to browse to the correct file location on the card (MemoryMap/qct folder as before.)

You load the cache data from MM using the Export Data to device option under Mobile Device.

BTW, my version of MM (v5) uses the terminology Mobile Device rather than (I think) PDA as used by previous versions of MM.

Recently had to reinstall pocket navigator on my PDA as the whole system needed to be rebooted. While I can export the visible map portion fine, and then export the data to PDA like I used to, none of the cache icons are showing up on the map. I'm probably missing something obvious - but what is it??!
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably you have tried Overlay; Show All; All on the PDA?
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighlandNick wrote:
Presumably you have tried Overlay; Show All; All on the PDA?

No, but I have just now and nothing changes.
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in memory-Map you do
Mobile Device; Export Data to Device?

Which version of MM are you using?
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighlandNick wrote:
And in memory-Map you do
Mobile Device; Export Data to Device?

Yep: "Export data to PDA" mine says. Just been following the steps I have always used.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: