Nature Ramblings
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Nature Ramblings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Original A1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Nature Ramblings Reply with quote

I've only been in the caching game since February, so perhaps my eyes have been widened more this year than others, but has anyone else noticed the particular proliferation this year of:

1) Jaggies
2) Swallows
3) Rowan Berries
4) Bunnies
5) Pollen?

If more than one swallow makes a summer and yet it didn't really this year, presumably we are entitled to hope that the mass of rowan berries isn't the harbinger of a tough winter. We can but hope...

Just some thoughts. Anyone else notice other apparent increases that I haven't mentioned?

Puzzled
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a rowan tree in our garden that is absolutely overloaded with berries, was just thinking we were in a for a bad winter the other day (if theories about this are right)
Drumin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be the anorak here but the profusion of rowan berries has more to do with the weather in the spring when the flowers are out than the likelihood of a bad winter.

However, feel free to hurl this back at me when we have -20deg C and 24" of snow from October to March! Laughing
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My work place gets inundated with swallows each year, yet I haven't seen any this year. Sad
Original A1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggis Hunter wrote:
My work place gets inundated with swallows each year, yet I haven't seen any this year. Sad

Really??? And we live relatively close by (that said, I'm not sure where exactly you live!)...

Notable areas I've seen them are in East Lothian - Marmal's "Gone to the Dogs" at Wallyford and "Otter Bridge" down near Tyninghame strike me as particular examples. I've been doing a bit of caching in Fife lately, and the farmland around Loch Leven is teeming with them. And the Union Canal's usually a good source, although I've not checked it out lately - basically anywhere that bugs will be flying near water is a good bet - swallows love to skim along the waterline scooping up all before them. But be quick if you're going - I imagine they'll be heading South before too long....

I guess I'm wrong about the rowan berry suggestion, although that might account for the huge number of very tall jaggies this year. Either that or I'm shrinking!

Shocked
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original A1 wrote:
Haggis Hunter wrote:

Really??? And we live relatively close by (that said, I'm not sure where exactly you live!)...

I work at Heriot-Watt, the most notable place for anyone to see them is behind the Sports centre, they tend to have two nests in an alcove at the rear by the changing rooms doors. They also have nests in other hidden away nooks and crannies throughout the university, but it's mainly staff and students who will be able to stand and watch them. Like I said though I haven't seen any this year and all the usual nesting places haven't been used.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Birds and the Bees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: