Sad news
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Sad news
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Ewan's funeral, a few of us wondered about creating a 'Billy Twigger' challenge, which would consist of finding all of his caches, perhaps leading to an event to find one of his best but remote caches, the 'Death of Power'. We had thought about starting the challenge now, giving folk a year to find all of the caches except this one and then have the event the weekend before the mega event.

Any views about this idea?

Can we get BT's earthcache 'My Fault' unarchived do you think Deceangi/Alba15?
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that any of Ewans' Earthcaches have been archived, as some of us had offered to adopt any of them in the past - my offer still stands.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I don't think I will be available the weekend before the mega, I still think it's a great idea and one that Ewan would have approved of.

As for adopting Ewan's caches, I would be happy to adopt any of his virtuals that I have done, if 1. Groundspeak would allow it and 2. Fraser was happy for the adoption of Ewan's caches to go ahead?
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't thought about it yesterday when I made my reply, but *mouse* is thinking of arranging an event the week before the mega for climbing Ben Nevis. Thought I would mention it in case there is a clash of dates. Details here.
JackieC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Fraser is up for them being adopted then I'll happily take all the Bute caches. Will and I went over last month and did a mass maintenance run and loved it (despite the cleg bites and gorse bushes! Laughing ). We even re-found the Capt Sparrow cache in the middle of a huge bramble bush with the help of FFB on the phone (I've almost healed!).

The earthcache was 'archived' as it doesn't have any educational requirement, it needs a question that the cacher has to send the answer to. Its still available to log as Deci has posted a note on to confirm.

Hell, why not, if they're available then I'll take the Argyll ones too, we're planning on doing a maintenance run on them in the next few weeks.

Team Incredible have said on many previous occasions that they would be honoured to take the 'Death of Power' cache.

If theres a Twigger challenge being organised on then count us in! Very Happy But can we count our Bute finds from last month please? Embarassed
Mr Chizu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to adopt Toot, given that it's a virtual?
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackieC wrote:

The earthcache was 'archived' as it doesn't have any educational requirement, it needs a question that the cacher has to send the answer to. Its still available to log as Deci has posted a note on to confirm.

I would still be happy to take this on and get it unarchived in the longer term - I hope Deci reads this note...
I will look out an educational question about the Highland Boundary Fault!
allieballie
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackieC wrote:

If theres a Twigger challenge being organised on then count us in! Very Happy But can we count our Bute finds from last month please? Embarassed

When we spoke about this at Ewan's funeral we were bearing in mind that several of us had already found all of his caches in Bute, and that that would count towards the final challenge, if we went ahead with that idea. I have been thinking about this today and wondered about the folks that hadn't been to Bute, or had done some of his caches there but not them all. Also although most of the rest of his caches are on the west coast over that direction, he does have an earthcache in the far north.

I wondered if we did decide to go ahead with this idea, would it be worthwhile organising a run of events over the next year or so perhaps encourage people to take part in the challenge - a day/weekend on Bute as we have done twice before, some west coast days out, an event up north to encompass the earthcache? I know it might be tight timewise what with all the other events around but we would need to start thinking about this now if we decided to approach it that way?

Just chucking these thoughts into the air for discussion to see what others think!
Deceangi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The caches can be adopted over if Ewans family either have access to his GC Account or they contact Groundspeak directly with the GC Codes and the account name of the person adopting each cache. Groundspeak insist that the family contact them directly, and will not work through intermediaries.

I've been keeping Ewans caches active with the aid of the community, including several of Ewans earth caches, which I managed to obtain information and edit the earth caches to comply with the tighter requirements for earthcaches. And will continue to work to get them all active. But I need information which I can easily convert to add to the page or copy and paste. Which I can then run past geoaware. I did play hell when Ewans earth caches were initially archived due to non compliance about being updated, and got them unarchived for the most part.

As for the virtual cache, I am prepared to make inquiries about having it adopted over due to the exceptional regard the community held and still holds for Ewan. But as Groundspeaks intention over Virtual caches is to allow them to disappear due to natural wastage. I don't hold out much chance over this. Please note they are not on a witch hunt over them, just a case of well over time they will eventually be archived by the owners or reviewers due to non compliance of the guidelines. Reviewers have been given firm instructions not the hunt and destroy, and only action those where a complaint is made. If needed I am quite happy to keep the virtual cache active, and I know the community will help me with this aim. Despite my personal feelings about most virtual caches, I believe that this is one which must remain active!

If one person is taking on the responsibility of maintaining the physical caches, lets me know. So that we can work together.

Deci
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewan still has 3 virtual caches which are still active.

They are - The Warriors, Toot & You must remember this!

As I have already said I am more than happy to take these on, if it can be arranged.

If it requires a family member to approach Groundspeak to give permission for adoptions, then I think it may be best if Sally spoke to them? Sally has been the main point of contact with Ewan's family.
Perth Pathfinders

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they cannot be adopted, then why not copy his page exactly and create your own new page (whoever wants to take them) with 'In memory of BT' as the cache name or similar?

Would that solve the problem, and keep the caches alive?
(Unfortunately won't help the Virtual ones though)

Or............ make a new account and re-do all the pages (only need to be copy/paste), as long as somebody is willing to take over maintenance and sign in regularly?

Just a thought.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fraser did talk about looking after some of his Dad's caches - obviously in the fullness of time, so I'm not sure whether any or all of them need to be adopted. however I will email him via his grandfather with whom I remain in touch and find out what might be best.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have emailed BT's father to let him know that there cachers willing to adopt some or all of his caches, if the family wish it. Obviously this is likely to be a low priority on their list of things to think about for some time, but BT's father will let us know if the family wish to make any changes.

That doesn't stop us from trying to help out for the time being by getting archived earthcaches re-instated etc.
Deceangi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firth of Forth wrote:
I have emailed BT's father to let him know that there cachers willing to adopt some or all of his caches, if the family wish it. Obviously this is likely to be a low priority on their list of things to think about for some time, but BT's father will let us know if the family wish to make any changes.

That doesn't stop us from trying to help out for the time being by getting archived earthcaches re-instated etc.

Yes please I'd love to see them active

Deci
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deceangi wrote:
Firth of Forth wrote:

Yes please I'd love to see them active

Deci

Once again, I am happy to take on Ewans earthcache "My Fault". Although available for logging, it does not fulfil the Earthcache educational guidelines in that there is no question to submit as pointed out in a previous posting.
Having carried out some research into the actual guidelines and after considering what needs to be done, it would mean a number of things:
1) amending the "Billy Twigger" ownership to show the new co-owner/ adoptee and link to their email.
2) adding the educational part.

This would mean a transference of ownership to allow editing rights but still allowing "Billy Twigger" to appear as the original cache owner.

I presume that Ewans family would need to give their permission for the adoption rights - probably something they don't need to bother with at the moment.
However, although the cache is archived, it can still be logged so this doesn't need to be done in the short term?

Thanks to those other GeoX members who have already pointed out most of this already and apologies if anyone feels I am overstepping the mark. I am putting forward this proposal as there are GeoX members who are aware of Ewans' and my love of geology together!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: