Geocaching article in MCofS magazine
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Geocaching article in MCofS magazine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jester2005

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Geocaching article in MCofS magazine Reply with quote

Click here to read the article: http://gb.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issue=416093621&o=ext
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Jester, thanks for the link.
Will be interesting to read any replies in next month's issue.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seen this magazine in work and had a read of the article. I thought it was well researched and he quite rightly points out the concerns of dry stone walls and historical features, although he says that putting a cache in a wall is OK, but only if the finders don't cause damage!
jester2005

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited one cache at Loch Tay which was placed badly, in some old ruins. Not a good advert for geocaching at all.

As regards damage from erosion, I'd imagine Munro baggers do more, with thousands of feet concentrated in 284 (?) areas.
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the article too, and thought it was poorly written, drifted off the subject (although he acknowledges this himself...) and concentrated too much on the stone wall issue.
I am of the opinion that if we, as cachers, visit a cache in a wall, then it should be reported to a reviewer to be archived.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighlandNick wrote:

I am of the opinion that if we, as cachers, visit a cache in a wall, then it should be reported to a reviewer to be archived.

I too am in that opinion, but sadly people won't report caches due to the stigma and berating of being publicly labelled the cache police, which is generally done by the people who break the rules/guidelines anyway. Sad
Jacobite
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jester2005 wrote:
I visited one cache at Loch Tay which was placed badly, in some old ruins. Not a good advert for geocaching at all.

I'm sure I found that one back in 2006, and my log reflected what I thought of the cache placement. I got a stern email from the owner for my trouble, a shame really due to the significance of the site.

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk
Deceangi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Dry Stone Walls, if you find a cache in one. And believe that making a Needs Archiving log, will cause you issues. Please email either Carol or myself, and we will action the cache without revealing who the complaint came from. We're paid the big bucks to take the c*a* that flies Very Happy

And the usual process is that the cache is disabled to allow the owner to relocate it, only if the owner fails to do so does the cache get Archived.

Better a cache owner is p**'d off with a Reviewer than a Landowner, especially if damage is caused by the cache being located there.

My personal feelings on reading the article, is that the writer missed a good opportunity to give a good write up as he describes himself as a regular geocacher. Instead he's concentrated on the negative sides of geocaching, it almost started to read as a Anti Geocaching Agenda

Deci

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: