GPS Training and Information
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

GPS Training and Information

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: GPS Training and Information Reply with quote

I subscribe to a monthly email newsletter from a company called GPST (GPS Training)
GPST is a Lakes based company who offer training courses and advice for GPS users.
The August newsletter is HERE

One of the very interesting review articles this month is about some software from a company called Mapwel

Using this software, you can digitise any map that you have into a format for putting on your mapping GPSr (new eTrex mapping units and GPSMap60CX for example)
So what does this mean? You could take images from MemoryMap and use these on your GPS. The quality will be diminished, but it might be worth a go?
You have to have a screen capture app for your PC (I use the one GPST recommend called Snagit) Mapwel then enables you to calibrate your map by fixing at least 3 positions on it using OSGB or Lat/Long system. I have done this myself in MemoryMap to import scanned orienteering maps. The calibrated map is vectorised and then put into a format to upload to your GPSr (free software to do this is also available from Mapwel or other sources if you are already familiar with this.)

I haven't tried Mapwel yet but a free demo download is available to try out - the full version costs $45 I believe. It is suggested that if you wish to try this software out, you obtain a new SD card for Mapwel images as putting these onto your card will overwrite any existing data.
The free demo is exactly the same as the paid for version except there is a limit on the number of map segments that can be used.

When I have some time (and a new card!) I will give it a go.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: