Unreliable TOMTOM
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Unreliable TOMTOM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobgoblinkiteflier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Unreliable TOMTOM Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone else has had bad experiences with their sat navs? We have recently returned from holiday in France, where we went with our caravan.

Most of the time, the TOMTOM would not lock on to the GPS signals. It just sat there with a grey screen. We had to rely on the road atlas until it eventually got going, sometimes hours later. Occasionally it would wake up and suggest turning down the next farm track before losing the signal again.

E.g. On the way south we stopped just north of Oxford. Next morning I switched the TOMTOM on about 20mins before we left, just to give it time to get going. It didn't get itself sorted out until we were at Ringwood in Dorset, about 2hours later.

I have had the sat nav (TOMTOM ONE v3) a few months now and it usually works well in Scotland. If I send it back to the manufacturer I can imagine them saying there's nothing wrong with it.

It did guide us to a couple of caches, but think of those that we missed!

Disappointed Hobgoblin.
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be worth trying the reset button (make sure your tomtom is backed up on your computer first)
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also connect it up to your PC and start up the tomtom home software. Once connected search for updates to make sure you are using the latest software in the tom tom and also to download the current 'quick start' data.
Hobgoblinkiteflier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about pushing the reset button, but I didn't want to risk losing my POI's.
I usually download the latest GPS quick fix when I am updating the caches on the tom tom, but being away from home this wasn't an option. I will report my problems to tomtom and see what they have to say.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: