GPS
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

GPS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cookster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

A friend wants to get into caching (idiot I say!). Anyhoo they are looking at either a garmin gko or an e-trex. I use a magellan so I don't know much about garmins. Can anyone tell me which of the two would be best?

Thanks.
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what they can afford, would go with the etrex (or higher spec version) every time, I think the geko is pretty basic although it would do the trick.
The higher spec versions can load maps, connect via usb to the computer for downloading waypoints etc.

IMHO
Scottiedogz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotsbob wrote:
Depends what they can afford, would go with the etrex (or higher spec version) every time, I think the geko is pretty basic although it would do the trick.
The higher spec versions can load maps, connect via usb to the computer for downloading waypoints etc.

IMHO

I agree
Big advantage being able to download from computer straight to Etrex & it can take more maps as well.
Haven't any experience of geko tho'

I could bring my Etrex into Perth one day if that helps
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking just the normal yellow Etrex then I would say go with the Geko 201 (certainly not the 101). I've been using a Geko 201 for over 5 years and I can tell you it's a great wee GPS especially for beginners.
It also has all of the specs (including downloading from the computer) that a yellow Etrex has, but smaller.
Cookster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big advantage being able to download from computer straight to Etrex & it can take more maps as well.

Yes that would be good scottiez.
I have never used an etrex so it would be helpful to see it's capabilities.
Acronema

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapping facility is to be highly recommended, and although the Garmin topo maps are not as detailed as the OS maps, they are a good compromise for the processing power of the GPSr. The colour screen eTrexs are also very nice an bright and easy to see.

If they are getting a second hand model then definitely make sure it is one of the high sensitivity models (not just plain 12 channel), and also some of the older models only have a serial connector requiring an adaptor for USB.

I always recommend the Garmin Vista HCx (a bit under £160 now), but if you dont need a barometric altimeter then you can go down a few models and get something a bit cheaper.

BTW Google Earth v5 is now directly linkable to your Garmin GPSr so you can upload/download data without needing any intermediary software....nice.
Scottiedogz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookster wrote:

Yes that would be good scottiez.
I have never used an etrex so it would be helpful to see it's capabilities.

Will get in touch next time I,m gonna be in perth, which is quite a lot at the moment.
greenygianty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was to replace my Geko 201, I'd replace it with a GPS that runs on AA batteries as I find AAAs don't last too long, even worse in cold weather.
Acronema

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I was to replace my Geko 201, I'd replace it with a GPS that runs on AA batteries as I find AAAs don't last too long, even worse in cold weather.

Agreed, and I would add a couple of things:

1) check out the quoted battery life when deciding between GPSrs, the newer models are battery efficient these days.

2) if you use rechargable batteries then pick the high capacity ones. Also, if you can, you should set the battery type in your setup menu so your GPSr can draw power more efficiently and so help prolong the battery life.

3) in cold weather you can sometimes coax some extra life out of a failing battery by warming it up for a few minutes....an armpit or other 'warm spot' ...cue another lunchbox comment from JA? Wink

Acronema

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: