Cachemate Help
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Cachemate Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cookster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Cachemate Help Reply with quote

I've downloaded cachemate but the file wouldn't open on my pc. I get the mesage 'cachemate 1.3.3. exe is not a valid win32 application'. So I dragged the file into active sync and i opened it and registered it on the PPC.

Do you need the program to be open on your pc for it to function? I can open the program on PPC but can't work out how to use it or how to get cache pages onto it.

I've tried the smittyware website support etc and it's not the most helpful.

Anyone had similar issues?
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CacheMate only works onthe PDA.
GSAK only works on the desktop PC.

You need to get a .gpx file from GSAK or from GC.com as a PocketQuery (examples) and import it into CacheMate.

To do this, take the .gpx file that has the caches you are interested in and copy them from your PC to the PDA.

Open CacheMate and at the bottom of the screen, you will see two icons that have red arrows on them. One is to Import a file, the other is to Export.
Click on the Import one (arrow goes in to files), you should see the plugin GPX/LOC Import option at the top.
Click on Start and a window will open up showing (hopefully) where the gpx file is. Otherwise, navigate to where you copied the .gpx file.

Click on the file, and the .gpx file will be imported.

If you have the paid for CacheMate, all the files will be imported, otherwise (IIRC) you are only allowed to import (possibly) one record or cache file.
Cookster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick. I followed your instructions carefully and managed to import a file onto cachemate. I am finding this all so complicated. The instructions that are given on GSAK are very good up until exporting files to a PPC or to cachemate and it's not easy working this out.

When I open cachemate, despite it telling me that it imported a file it won't show up. Do you know why this is the case? I assumed when you open cachemate a list of caches imported should appear?

Is this the way I should import all caches to cachemate, r can I use the export function on CSAK?

I'm trying not to get too dispondent but I just keep coming up against problems. I'm determined to get it all working.
HighlandNick
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I got your email so all the rubbish below can be ignored!!

The CacheMate export is for Palm users only. You have to use the Export .gpx file method I have outlined for PPC.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing now but I'm not sure why you can't see the imported caches. Crying or Very sad I presume that the .gpx file you are importing actually has caches in it? This sounds stupid, but could you try re importing the .gpx file into a new GSAK database to see what is in it? To do this in GSAK, go to Database, New (give it a name) then under File, Load GPX/LOC/ZIP and reload the gpx file. Obviously, it should show the caches you exported before.

One last thing, I presume you are importing and not exporting a file into CacheMate. It's the right hand of the two icons with the red arrows.

Sorry if this is painful at this stage and what I am saying is a load of old cobblers - it's tricky diagnosing what is going wrong at a distance!
Any more help out there? (Big Wolf - where are you??)
Cookster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been out caching today for the first time - paperless! PPC up and running now with all teething problems sorted.

I couldn't see the files previously as I had to select the viewing status to 'all'. There they were!

I have also realised that I don't need the GSAK program a I can save the cache files into a folder and then import them directly to cachemate.

It was great being out today without bits of paper - yipee.

Thanks to Nick and everyone else for the help. Much appreciated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: