Beware spam advertising!
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Beware spam advertising!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighlandNick wrote:
Firth of Forth wrote:

When I accidentally clicked on the link to geofrees in my favourites (it's next to geoX), I discovered this message:

"Sorry , you are banned from using this forum! "

Has this happened to anybody else? Or indeed everybody??

In fact 'YES' the site that likes to have Sock puppet accounts, banned me several times in one night for using them. I was on my works computer, under my login account. (Some people think I was illegally using someone elses account!).
Anyway I kept changing computers and kept getting banned, eventually Snaik displayed all of my ISP details, showing the works email addresses which you get logged under when using your own account. I had to threaten him with reporting the breach of confidentiality to get the post deleted, I then had the ban immediately removed, and an invite back to the forum, one which I declined.

I would like to point out, that although I was logging in under sock puppet accounts, (which are allowed on Geofrees) I did not at any time say anything untoward, in fact the two things that got me banned were, "Guess Who?" and "That wasn't nice!" both of which where posted in the chat room.

Definitely a double standards site!

Jacobite
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted my Geofrees account the other day, and I've been able to get on the site without problems.
I think they block your IP if you're a bad person and say things like,
"Long live Baroness Rusts cat"!.................Oops, I forgot it's dead Violins
allieballie
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobite wrote:
"Long live Baroness Rusts cat"!.................Oops, I forgot it's dead Violins

The person who is Baroness Rust doesn't/didn't have a cat. It was my cat that died. I am NOT Baroness Rust. If that comment was meant to be about my cat, I don't know why that is getting dragged into the animosity between the two forums. I have always tried not to take sides and just get along with everyone - I hope HH and FoF would confirm this.

If I am being over-sensitive and misconstruing your remark, then I apologise.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allieballie wrote:
Jacobite wrote:

The person who is Baroness Rust doesn't/didn't have a cat. It was my cat that died. I am NOT Baroness Rust. If that comment was meant to be about my cat, I don't know why that is getting dragged into the animosity between the two forums. I have always tried not to take sides and just get along with everyone - I hope HH and FoF would confirm this.

If I am being over-sensitive and misconstruing your remark, then I apologise.

I certainly can confirm this for you AB, I think I can also explain why Jacobite has mentioned this?

When I challenged the authenticy of Baroness Rust she came back with a lame excuse about her cat dying. the cat was called Rusty, nicknamed baroness or something like that. If this was taken after your Cat AB, then the real Baroness Rust (anagram Susan Roberts aka Perth Pathfinders) should be disgusted with herself.

Something AB has always done, is not to take sides on ANY disputes, and I respect her for this. It's a pity that others on that site don't think the same? Crying or Very sad

Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobite wrote:
I deleted my Geofrees account the other day, and I've been able to get on the site without problems.
I think they block your IP if you're a bad person and say things like,

If you delete your account, it just means that you turn into a guest rather than a registered user. You can still access the forum as a guest.

I can confirm that I have been banned, though I have not been given a reason why. As I don't intend to go there, it doesn't greatly matter. I would urge everyone not to take sides between the two forums (fora??), just like AB who has always been very diligent in remaining neutral.
allieballie
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would just like to apologise to Jacobite as before I read HHs post above, I had no idea that there was a story going round about a dead cat in relation to someone else. I thought that perhaps Jacobite had thought I was Baroness Rust, and because I had posted something on geofrees about my cat dying, I thought he made the remark in relation to this. Sorry Jacobite for assuming (wrongly) that your comment was connected with me in any way. Guess I am just still a bit sensitive about my cat dying. If it's any consolation I feel really stupid and embarassed now!

One thing though - the original story about a dying cat was definitely not based on my (real) cat. My cat died suddenly about six weeks ago - I think the Rusty story would have dated from months ago rather than weeks?
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allieballie wrote:
I don't know why that is getting dragged into the animosity between the two forums. I have always tried not to take sides and just get along with everyone - I hope HH and FoF would confirm this.

I also acknowledge this.

It would be very distressing to think that there is any question of "animosity" between the two forums, or that anyone felt that they had to take sides.

No-one will ever be banned from this forum, simply because they are a member of another one as well.

-Wlw.
allieballie
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildlifewriter wrote:
allieballie wrote:
I don't know why that is getting dragged into the animosity between the two forums.

It would be very distressing to think that there is any question of "animosity" between the two forums, or that anyone felt that they had to take sides.

Yes, on reflection, perhaps I could have used a different word in my initial post. I certainly didn't mean to imply that there are two opposing sides. Sure, there are two forums but, for the most part, they are dissimilar in nature. Chalk and cheese. Some people prefer chalk, some prefer cheese and some people don't mind either of these.

That is a terrible analogy, I know. Would have been much better to use "Cheese and Pickle" but that's not a well known phrase to describe how things differ from one another is it?!
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allieballie wrote:
One thing though - the original story about a dying cat was definitely not based on my (real) cat. My cat died suddenly about six weeks ago - I think the Rusty story would have dated from months ago rather than weeks?

Yes, the original story about the cat was several months ago, it was in fact at the time I left. So now knowing this I realise that PP's didn't intend the story to be anything about your cat.

Sorry to hear about your cat. It's a horrible thing losing a pet. Crying or Very sad

Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allieballie wrote:
That is a terrible analogy, I know. Would have been much better to use "Cheese and Pickle" but that's not a well known phrase to describe how things differ from one another is it?!

How about "As different as steak and spam..."

Wink

-Wlw
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildlifewriter wrote:

How about "As different as steak and spam..."

-Wlw

Now I like that. Thumbsup
allieballie
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Haggis Hunter It's a horrible thing losing a pet. Crying or Very sad [/color][/quote]

Yes, it is. But it was no excuse for me to jump to the wrong conclusions about Jacobites comment. Should have thought a bit more before I reacted!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: